ɴᴇᴜᴛʀᴀʟ ᴘᴀʀᴛ 2

Jared | Karen

Jared | Karen

He cut the call abruptly. For a fraction of a second, he felt guilty. Then he didn't. Why should he feel guilty when it was her family that ruined his?

"Is everything alright, Jare?" A woman flipped the open sign to closed.

"Nothing, Aunt Karen." He mumbled.

"Oh, sweetie, you know I can tell when you lie, right?" Karen chuckled a little. "Come on, spill some tea."

The corner of his lips lifted slightly at his aunt's attempt. He propped his elbows on the counter as he leaned forward. "It's the girl I talk to on the phone."

"The one who calls you every day?" She smiled teasingly and Jared nodded.

"How much do you know about her?" He asked, tilting his head sideways as he fiddled with his thumbs.

"I know you like talking to her even though you don't want to admit it."

"Aunt Karen!" He whined. "Forget about that. Do you remember the day she came to pick up the white roses?"

Karen shook her head. "I do remember that you left them with me. But I'd gone out to grab the takeaway for dinner. Jess was there. I remember you were grumbling about how much you wanted to be there but you couldn't stay because you had your graphic design class."

"Her name is Alana Adams."

Karen's smile disappeared momentarily. "Oh," she said.

"I just found out today."

A sad smile appeared on her face as she put her hand over her nephew's shoulder. "Are you upset that she's Andrew's daughter?"

"I hate that bastard"

"Language!" His Aunt said sharply.

"Ahem, sorry. It's just that somehow he always keeps sneaking into our lives. Whether it's asking his driver to buy flowers or sending his daughter to mess with him. Hasn't he done enough?" Jared fumed.

His aunt looked perplexed. "Is that what you think? That he sent his daughter to mess with you?"

He shrugged, not answering the question. He didn't know what to think. What else could it possibly be?

"I don't believe that one bit," Karen said firmly. "Don't take your anger out on Alana if it's directed towards Andrew. I'm sure she has nothing to do with what happened. She might not even know."

Jared groaned loudly. "I don't know. It feels like he's been haunting our family for far too long."

Karen sighed and pulled him towards where the computer stood. She opened some documents and files and then ushered her nephew to look. His eyes widened when he saw it.

"Andrew has been supporting our flower shop for years, Jared. I know he regrets what happened."

"You don't know that. Rich people have money to throw around. It may mean more to us than to him. But it doesn't undo anything." His voice was clipped, unable to think of Andrew Adams in any other way than a vile villain.

"I've shown you what I could do to convince you to think otherwise," Karen's shoulders fell in defeat. "I just hope you don't lose his daughter for what he did. Don't punish her."

Jared set his lips in a stubborn line. "Whatever."

"