e i g h t - s l o w

I scribble on some paper, as I glare at Eva forever. She models in her mini skirt.

"Ugh, this doesn't fit," she mumbles, pressing her hands above her waist. 

I look down at my pen.

"Why didn't you get a bigger size?" I forget that I wasn't talking to her anymore.

She looks at me through the mirror, "Why don't you zip your mouth shut?"

"You're not fat, Eva," I say. 

I'm no therapist, but I try to help sometimes. I feel the need to, when the bathroom smells like vomit.

"Who said I was fat?" she laughs snobbishly.

I breathe, "No one."

She looks back at herself, "Would make sense, right?"

I bite my tongue. It's still early in the morning. We don't have to fight.

She shreds out of her clothes and changes again.

"I wish mom could make us breakfast..." I sigh to myself.

"I can use a piña colada."

"You think mom is okay?"

Eva groans, as she puts on a top, "Who cares, Ambi."

Giving up, I hop off my bed and walk through the door.

"Hey," Eva stops me. I turn. "Stay away from Rico."

I pull my hair back, "I'm nowhere near him."

She gives me a 'you know what I mean' face. But I ignore it and walk out the house. I don't know what she means at all.

 I don't know what she means at all

Trim's smile is to die for. The damp air mixed with the heat of the sun feels good on my skin. White petals fall out of the trees every time the wind blows. I reach for one stuck in Trim's curls.

"I hope you got your bathing suit on," he says, shaking his head, as if a reflex from my touch. 

I couldn't help but bite my smile.

"Yeah, why?"

He playfully wriggles his brows at me, making me suddenly self-conscious.

"I want to show you something," he looks away and gets up.

"What is it?"

He stops in his tracks and looks back at me. I stare expectantly.

"It's something you'll need your bathing suit for," he grins. 

It's so easy to follow him. It's so easy to fall for him. I feel some distance though. I don't know anything about him. He doesn't know anything about me. But I guess when we're together, none of those things matter. 

He takes my hand in his and leads me away from town. Palm trees and citrus trees grow wild. The large leaves shade us from the sun. Maybe it's no good, if it's too easy. The path is steep, as we go down. The more we walked, the louder the swishing sound got.