Sixteen

"I swear to God, that man will lose his job!", I said, staring back.

"Stop it, Jay! You still have anger management issues, don't you?", Max asked with an arched brow.

"Whatever. Nevermind. So, when did you end up in Riverwood?"

"The team came for a little hike actually. Coach says we need to work on our stamina"

For a second, I felt a tinge of resentment in my stomach. Why didn't I think of that? My team needs to be engaged in health activities as well.

"Of course. Good call.", was all I could say.

"Why don't you join us? We met some cool people. I think you might know them.", he pointed out to a nearby table, as we walked towards it.

That's when I saw the douchebag. Cody West. What is he doing here? Is this some kind of joke that Max had planned? His eyes finally met mine and his face expression instantly changed to, what I might as well decipher as, anger. My palms balled into gripping fists and I was ready to hit someone.

"Everyone, this is Jay. Surely, you might know him already."

"No. Never heard of him. Jay? That's a strange name. Are you Red Indian or something?", Cody asked. Everyone retired to a fit of laughter. Including, Max.

Ah, sarcasm.You wanna play games, West? You are so on!

"Well, firstly, It's really disheartening to know how insufficient knowledge there is in that non-existent brain of your's. I happened to know the best doctors in the world. I can refer you to them. Make sure to register using my name, if you require the best in class treatment, which you obviously do." There. That'll do him good!

"Oh, no! I am hurt", he said dramatically, and put an offensive hand against his chest.

"Cut it out, guys. She's gonna sing now!", came a voice from my right. I turned to see a guy, whom I had never come across, not in Riverwood, of course. He just sat there, waiting in anticipation.

Sing? That's right. Mystery girl. I turned around to find a girl sitting, with a guitar slung against her body. God, isn't she beautiful. But, something about her eyes tells me that I'm familiar with that face. My doubts were instantly cleared, when she rose her head. Vanessa. Yes, that's her name.

"Everybody needs inspiration
Everybody needs a song
A beautiful Melody
When the night's so long
'Cause there is no guarantee
That this life is easy
Yeah, when my world is falling apart
When there's no light to break up the dark
That's when I, I,
I look at you"

As if cue to the words, her eyes locked with mine. My lips twitched up to a smile. That's when my heart knew, that, this was it! She's my mystery girl. My girl, who touched me, without her hands. Her voice is breathtaking and my eyes just can't get enough of her. With every single note that she modulates, I feel elated. I felt goosebumps all over my body. She's making me feel things, I've never felt before.

"...
When the waves are flooding the shore
And I can't find my way home any more
That's when I, I
I look at you

I look at you
Yeah,
Whoa-oh,
You appear just like a dream to me"

All through her enchanting voice, I did not let my eyes wander anywhere else, but her beautiful eyes. She looked away several times. But I have a gut feeling, that she definitely felt the spark when our eyes locked for the very first instant.

"Jay! Jay! Hello?...", I felt a hand wave across my face. I was struck back to reality when I realized that I had been standing all along. I immediately took a seat.

"Yes?", I finally answered.

"Do you want to order something?", Max asked. I notice that he's sitting next to a girl. I've seen her before, hanging out with Vanessa and that douche, Cody.

"No, thanks", I reply.

"She's beautiful isn't she? I mean, I'm in love with her voice", a guy dreamily sighs.

Okay! Who the hell is this guy and why is he here?

"I'm sorry. Who are you, again?", I'm intrigued to ask.

"Oh, I almost forgot. Jay, this is Chris, one of the best players on my team.", Max answers my question.

So, he's my competition.

"Nice to meet you ", he outstretches his hand for a hand shake.I took his hand and shook it briefly with a nod. I get a feeling that I already hate him for some reason.

"Okay, I'm going backstage. Nessa's probably waiting. Anyone coming?", the blue haired girl asks.

"Yes", Chris and Cody say in unison.

I really want to say yes but, I don't want to come off as a desperate guy.
I watch them totter off, rather with an envying look possessing my face.

"Everything okay, man?", an eager looking Max, asks, sitting right across me.

"Yup. So, how long are you staying?", I changed the subject.

"I don't really know. But I'm gonna cherish every moment here. Meeting Edith makes it even more special for me."

"Edith?"

"Ya. The girl who was with us this whole time?!", he looked annoyed, stressing the word whole.

"Okay, bro chill"

"Sorry, man. I got a little distracted..."

"Keep that attitude and you are definitely going to lose. You're doing me a favor, so thanks"

"You never know! What if you're being hoodwinked? Just a heads up!"

"Hey, Max!", came a voice from beside. I was familiar with that voice. I turned to see a beautiful little face looking at Max.

"Oh, hi! You sang amazing up there.", he complimented.

"Thank you", she smiled. That. Smile.

Her eyes finally found mine. I saw the confusion in them.

"Umm..hi?",she was definitely confused by my presence.

"Hey, beautiful!", I winked at her. She began to blush, but instantly shut it off and a serious expression conquered her face.

"Okay, bye. I gotta go", she said. Okay. Now, I'm confused. What was that for?

My inner thoughts are screaming for her to stay. But I concise to remain silent. I see Chris following her to the door. I wish I could be that guy, I silently think.

Okay, Jay! Stop getting off track!

My train of thoughts are interrupted by the buzzing of my phone. Mom.

"Hey, Mom! What's up?"

"Jay, where on earth are you?"

"What's the matter?"

"What's the matter?", she mimicks my tone,"Don't try to sound so naive. It's the big opening meet tonight. We're waiting here!"

"Oh, shit! I'm so sorry, Mom. I'll be there in five.", I hung up.

"Sorry, Max. I gotta run. It's really important. See you!"

I saw Max raise his hands offensively, but couldn't wait for his answer. I made my way to the door,as fast as I could. I got into my car, hit the accelerator and speeded off across the track. It was too dark to distinguish between the lanes.

The next thing I know, I hear a loud crash and a noise with a high frequency. I take in a fearful breath, as I begin to think my car hit something or someone.

______________________________________

Hey there! Did you enjoy the story? Don't forget to vote and comment.

Who or what do you think Jay's car hit?

PS: Don't forget to listen to the song that I've linked!

:)