Chapter 6

As early as he could after breakfast the following morning, Harry slipped out of number ninety-five Diagon Alley and strolled back towards Gringotts.

Arriving at the bank this early meant that most of the tellers were free due to the dearth of customers about. Picking one at random, Harry approached the high counter and settled himself in to wait until he was noticed. After nearly five minutes, the goblin finally put his quill down and lift his head to look him shrewdly in the eye.

"Yes?" the goblin asked.

"Good morning, I was wondering if I could make an appointment to see my account manager, please?" Harry asked.

"Your name?"

"Harry Potter, Sir," he replied.

The goblin's narrowed eyes and there was a slight pause before he called a second goblin over to him that had Harry feeling as though he'd done something wrong. He swallowed hard at the thought that he might have offended the goblin somehow. Professor Binns had told enough horror stories of how goblins dealt with wizards who'd offended them in the various goblin wars over the centuries to ensure that that was something that Harry desperately wanted to avoid.

"Wait over there until an appointment can be arranged for you," the goblin stated, indicating a long stone bench that sat against the far wall.

"Thank you, Sir," Harry smiled before crossing the hall to sit on the uncomfortable polished stone.

Surprisingly, it was only a matter of minutes before the younger goblin that had rushed off to set up his appointment returned.

"Come with me. Account Manager Slipshard is available to see you now," the goblin instructed.

Jumping up, Harry made sure to follow at what he hoped was a respectful two paces behind his guide.

He was led through a narrow door into a hallway that felt more tunnel-like that anything else with its rough-cut stone walls. The dim lighting was just bright enough for Harry to realise that if he had been fully grown, then he would have had to duck his head to keep from hitting it on the low ceiling.

His guide stopped at the third wooden door that appeared and rapped hard on it with the pommel of a knife that had appeared in his hand.

"Come!" a deep voice commanded.

Opening the door, the goblin tipped his head and trotted back down the corridor. Tearing his gaze away from the back of the retreating goblin, Harry forced himself forward through the door.

He found himself entering a small cave-like room about the size of his old bedroom back on Privet Drive. The rough-hewn walls to either side of the room were filled with shelves carved into the very rock walls. Numerous crystals and small silver objects dominated the shelving, although Harry also noted a number of shallow bowls and knives also in attendance.

Behind the rich mahogany desk, the rock wall was completely hidden by bookshelves filled with leather-bound books, folders and files. The desk though, was impressive. It took up nearly three-quarters of the width of the room and looked to be almost as wide as a bed. Its sides and front continued to the floor in the dark red wood, hiding everything behind it. Four or five small piles of folders were stacked neatly to either side of the large green blotter that dominated the centre of the table. A number of inkwells and quills were placed neatly at the top of the desk, ready for use.

But it was the goblin seated behind the desk that really caught Harry's attention. Like all goblins, he was much shorter than Harry, with piercing black eyes that seemed to be looking not just at him, but into him as though measuring his very worth. Dark grey tuffs of hair sprouted out of his long ears and also, Harry noted, from his large nose. His long fingers were steepled together in front of him as he waited for Harry to approach.