Chapter 2

I apologizing for not updating anything on any of my stories for months now. I've been in a bad relationship with a friend. I cut those ties this morning. I'm hoping I can become better for it. The good news for anyone who follows what I write, you'll be getting more updates! Let me know of any errors; I normally try to proofread but I wrote this all off the cuff, in one go, and I'm rather tired and want to go to bed now.

     Marie ignored me as usual as we walked the short distance between where the bus let us off and our two-story grey house. The drab exterior didn't even have a splash of an accent color here or there to brighten up the dreary look. I stopped at the mailbox and piled the small pile of envelopes in my arm. I flicked through them out of curiosity as my feet moved forward. I was just reaching the first step of the porch when I found an envelope addressed to myself. There was no return address listed in the upper left hand corner. Marie had already entered the house and I had the moment to myself. Not a long moment, as it would be noticeable if I entered much later than my elder sister. 

     I carefully ran my finger under the edge of the envelope and slipped out the contents. A small wallet sized photo of a green eyed, blonde haired baby girl stared up at me. A lined notecard was in there as well. What appeared to be written Latin was a short memo penned in a neat print.  This was beyond odd.  I have never received such an odd or creepy mail before. I didn't recognize the little girl with her short ringlet curls. I didn't know Latin. I didn't know who could've sent me this. There was no one back in Illinois who I was close enough with to give my new address to. And for the few weeks we have lived here in the Charleston area, I haven't spoken to a neighbor. So who addressed a letter with a baby picture included to me?

     The baby photo drew my eyes again. I didn't have any baby photos of myself to compare it to, but it seemed like a pretty cheesy photo. The baby girl was dressed in a red velvet dress, white stockings, and black shining shoes. Her eyes were focused on whoever took the photo and not the camera. Her smile seemed infectious, the chubbiness of her cheeks squeezing her eyes. Staring at her, I could almost hear a childish squeal escape those unmoving lips. Who is this girl? Why did someone send this to me?

     The sound of footsteps on the other side of the front door stopped my mind short. I quickly shoved the notecard and photo into the built in shelf of my camisole. The envelope, I crumpled and tossed just off the porch and into the bush. The door banged open as I started back up the steps.

     "What's taking you so long?" my mother spat at me. Her eyes darted around, accessing the yard like she wanted to find a reason for me to be late. A reason to be mad. 

     "Just getting the mail. Were you expecting anything to come in today?" I tried to deflect.

    Her brown eyes narrowed on me for a second, trying to read a lie on my face. I kept my features schooled as best I could. Her face turned into a sneer before she stomped back inside. I shuffled through the open door, making sure to lock up behind me. Mom waited in the kitchen. Her arms bunched up the maroon robe she wore and her foot tapped a maddening rhythm.  I continued my shuffle towards the kitchen island's counter top. My eyes remained on my feet as a placed the mail in a neat stack. 

      As I started to retreat back to the main hallway where I could slip up the stairs and to safety, my mother's voice cut me off. "Is your room clean?" I nodded my head. "Clean it again. And your bathroom. It's a mess. After that you can vacuum and sweep the floors. You let this house turn into a pigsty already." I nodded my head again, not bothering to tell her I did the floors yesterday. The living room hasn't even been walked in since then. Nonetheless, It was better—no, easier—to just nod my head and listen. If this was all she was dishing out to me, it would be a nice quiet night.