chapter 1

an: pic is kal

---

It is 6:35 in the afternoon on a Friday. Kal just finished soccer practice and was planning to grab a bite at the nearest diner when Abel Wentz walked up to him and said something that had him gaping. It seems as if he waited hours outside just to specifically talk to Kal, and that by itself is odd – but the fact that he stands before him now, impassive, cheeks red only from the cold, tired eyes unblinking and devoid of any emotion – that's the strangest part of it all.

Clearly, he must've heard wrong. Because no says that kind of thing to someone like this. Not with empty eyes and an expressionless face.

This has got to be a joke.

"What?" he asks – demands, more like. Kal's shoulder hurts. It hurts a lot. He fell on it badly while chasing for the ball during practice but not hard enough to dislocate or sprain it. That's what the nurse said anyway. If it won't heal completely within two weeks he'll be benched in their next match.

Abel doesn't look away. He doesn't blush or stutter or even blink. "I love you." he repeats, as nonchalant as the last.

The thing is, Kal's never one for tact. He's unsympathetic and most of the time labelled as a dick. And he can't really refute that idea because he kind of is, maybe. Possibly. He's not a great person, but he isn't so horrid either. But today is a bad day. And this just completes the cake, the cherry on top so to speak.

Something inside Kal snaps.

"Don't fuck with me." Kal grits out, clenching and unclenching his fists. He wants to grab Abel and push him against something. Break his nose. But his shoulder hurts and Kal doesn't actually want to hurt Abel, because he kind of likes him.

Which is why this is a problem.

"I'm not." Abel says, kind of slowly. The kind of slow people used when talking to a toddler. The I-know-you're-stupid-so-I'll-talk-like-this slow. As if it'll comfort him or make him understand better.

But that just makes him even more mad, because Abel is making fun of him.

"Who put you up to this?" Kal asks, face forming a scowl. "Look, I don't have time for bullshit. Find another gay kid to play tricks on because I'm not falling for it."

"No one. I – what?" Finally, a semblance of something flickered on Abel's eyes. "I'm not playing tricks on you. I love you."

How convenient, Kal thinks bitterly, I come out of the closet and the guy I had a crush on confesses to me. No one's that lucky. Kal may be dumb, but he's not this dumb.

There's no one around, not that he can see. The last remaining people in school were some of his teammates who's probably already left minutes ago and a few staff walking around. There's probably a camera in the bushes recording all this. The past few weeks were hell and he wouldn't be surprised if this is another one of those cheap tactics of fuck him over.

Kal pushes past Abel without a word. Better to ignore all this. He'll go buy something to eat and return straight home just as planned.

"Kal – " Abel chases after him. "I'm telling the truth. I'm – I'm telling the truth!"

He stops, turns, and says, "What do you expect to come out of this?"

"Nothing." Abel says. "I just wanted to tell you."

"Why?"

"Because..." Abel pauses. He looks pensive and sort of subdued. "I'm going to die tonight."