Chapter 30: Stay Away

After pacing around my hotel room for about an hour, I decided that surfing would get my mind off of things. I got into my swimsuit and wetsuit and started walking to the beach. I rented a board and headed out onto the waves. I was right. It did calm me down. Getting out of the water was a different story. Luca, Quinn, Lana, Jason, and Hayden were on the beach. They looked like they were having a great time. I sighed before I set the board in the sand and pulled down my wetsuit halfway. I picked the board back up and started walking towards them.

“Hey, Jobear!” Jason smiled. I laughed and rolled my eyes.

“Never call me that again, Jason,” I said, shaking my head. Hayden’s face went to one of remorse and hope. He stopped what he was doing and stepped towards me.

“Jo,” he said lightly. I avoided his eyes. Jason looked between the two of us.

“Just kiss and make up already,” Jason said in an exaggerated manner. Lana and Luca looked over to us curiously. I looked around before I shook my head hesitantly.

“Let’s go talk,” Hayden suggested. I sighed and started walking. He jogged up and started walking with me. I turned in the board and pulled off my wet suit. “Jo, I know I was wrong, and I’m going to be here waiting for you,” Hayden said. I sighed and looked away from him.

“It’s hard to stay away from you; you have to know that. But I need time to think without you around. My love for you clouds my judgment. And the fact is: you cheated on me. I don’t take that lightly,” I said. He begged me quietly with his eyes. Every time we talked, my answer wavered a little more.

“Marry me,” he said suddenly. I looked at him shocked.

“What?” I asked. He grabbed my hand and squeezed it lightly.

“Marry me,” he repeated. I shook my head.

“Hayden! We have so many issues right now and we’re not even together. Marrying me won’t change anything. And I don’t want to get married just because you’re desperate,” I said. He looked away from me as a heat crept into his cheeks.

“I just want to be with you, Jo,” he said softly. I hesitated before I pushed up on my tip-toes and kissed him. My hand went to his cheek lightly. His hand went to my waist as he kissed me back. After a moment, I pulled away so my face was inches from his.

“I love you, Hayden. That’s not the problem. The problem is that you hurt me. You intentionally hurt me. I love you, and I want to be with you; I just don’t trust you right now,” I said quietly. He ran his thumb along my cheek before he pecked me gently.

“I can’t stand being away from you like this,” he whispered. “Come over,” he asked. I shook my head before he made me look at him. His eyes begged me. I sighed.

“Okay, okay, but only for a little bit,” I finally gave in. He kissed my head, his lips lingering. I found my eyes closing as he interlocked his fingers with mine. I changed into a change of clothes before I went with him. Back at the apartment, I was a little nostalgic. I missed being here. And even though I’d only been gone for a few days, I was getting homesick. Hayden wrapped his arms around me and kissed me. I couldn’t help the stirring that started in the bottom of my stomach. His hand went to my lower back and scrunched up my shirt. I pushed him away as I tried to catch my breath.

“Hayden, that’s not why I came here,” I said, stopping him. He rested his forehead against mine, making it nearly impossible for me to think straight.

“Jordyn, I just want you back… in every way,” he said in a whisper. I couldn’t help it; my breath caught. His electric blue eyes held me there.