End-The Train Station

" ...We have to wait for a north bound train!" Henry Lennox exclaimed, whilst he continued to read his newspaper.

Making a move from her seat and out of the carriage, Margaret Hale stepped onto the platform relieving herself of the confined space and company, where she had been sat. She had been quiet for most of the journey back from Milton, mulling over and reflecting upon what Mrs Thornton had said to her. She had understood that Mrs Thornton was upset but told her that she had not come to Milton to "look over her possessions" but had expressed her wishes to speak to Mr Thornton. However she had no idea where he was.

Margaret had been set that morning when she had awoken, that now she was "quite the heiress", she would put her money to good use, like Mr Bell had said and travel to Milton with a business proposition to help John Thornton and his mother. She absently observed a north bound train as it pulled into the station.

There sitting in one of the carriages was Mr Thornton. She could not take her eyes away from the stern and serious face. Mindlessly brushing away the wisps of  curls that whirled about her face, her gazed followed him until the train came to a steady stop. As she kept looking her feet took her across the platform and stopped only a few feet away from his carriage.

John Thornton moved to open the door for some air, before carrying on up north and home to Milton. As his gaze lifted, he thought is eye sight was playing tricks because there on the platform was Miss Hale! But there she was and he could not help himself smile as he saw she was intently watching him with those beautiful blue eyes. He stepped onto the platform and slowly walked up to her.

"Where are you going?"He asked with a gentle smile still on his face. "To London," she answeredanxiously, "I've been to Milton", she said with a shy smile and lowered herhead as if she was ashamed. Looking back into his face she began to become morenervous about the situation that was unfolding before them.

"You might guess where I have been," he said pulling a yellow blossom from his waistcoat pocket and handing it to her.

She took the rose with a surprised smile breaking over her face. "Helston," she exclaimed "You went to Helston, I thought those had all gone!"

"I found it in the hedgerow. Why were you in Milton?"

She looked up at him. "On business," she replied "That is, I have a business proposition to make...." she glanced back to where Henry was sitting. "Oh dear I need Henry to help explain."

He gently took her left arm, "You don't need Henry to explain." He said, letting her go in front of him and take a seat on one of the benches. "I have to get this right," she said nervously, concentrating as she sat down beside him. "It's a business proposition," she looked up into his watchful eyes which danced with happiness, the feelings they invoked within, so very similar to hers. She dropped her gaze to the floor and continued. "I have some fifteen thousand pounds which is lying in the bank at the moment on very little interest. Now, my financial advisors tell me that if you were to take this money to run Marlborough Mills, you could give me a much better rate of interest..." Her speech broke off as she looked up into his face, he continued  to have a smile which lovingly beamed down on her, making her struggle to commence in what she was trying to say. "So you see, it is only a business matter..." She stopped has he gently took hold of her hand in his. "It is you who would be doing..."With barely any breath she finished "Me the service".

She could no longer fight the urge with all the feelings that were boiling up inside of her. Her left thumb began to gently brush the top of his hand and taking his hand in hers, she lifted it to her lips and passionately kissed the back of his hand. His gaze never left her glowing face and he leaned slowly towards her. As she lifted her face, his was so desirably close that she could not move away, knowing that she was in danger of what she so wanted to happen and as his big, gentle hand cupped her rosy cheek, she lowed hers and closing her eyes responded to his soft kiss. He kissed her again and again, each time she felt the strong passion growing. Until they were interrupted by, "London train departing, all aboard for the London train."

She suddenly rose from her comfortable position and quickly moved towards her carriage in which Henry was waiting with a disapproving look on his long face. Margaret looked up at him, "Henry I......" He handed her her small bag and without any expressionsaid "Goodbye Margaret". He slammed the carriage door shut. Mr Thornton was just about to board the northbound train for Milton, alone, when he saw in the reflection of the carriage window the dainty figure of Miss Margaret Hale, a cautious smile upon her rosy red lips. He turned and with a smile of overflowing joy said, "You coming home with me?" She just looked at him with her pretty face and politely handed him her small luggage before boarding the northbound train with him following closely behind and shutting the door tightly shut.