My 13th Birthday

^Sang^Character^Pic^Above^

Sang's POV

"Happy Birthday!!!"

There's nothing like waking up to the wonderful sounds of your siblings yelling at you.

Even if they are doing it out of love.

For real?! Ugh it's like 5:30 in the morning... I hate mornings.

Squinting I barely peek through my eye lids before I'm dying laughing. Both Marie and Max are decked out in pink. Marie looks pure blissful wear our favorite color. But Max looks absolutely ridiculous.

"Well Morning to you too Sang." I look up to see Max with his hand over his heart like I actually pierced it with my laughter.

"I love when you wear our color. Maxis! I'm always saying you should wear it more often." Marie states popping her bubble gum for effect.

Giggling still, I finally manage to get to my feet and scramble over to hug them both.

They're five years older than me.
But they don't mind my hugs.
I'm really glad. I love them so much.

"So Goldilocks, what do you have planned for us today?" Max asks skeptically. He hates most of the activities I choose on my birthday but every year he is always a champ. Doesn't matter how crazy Marie or I make it on our birthdays he always let's us choose what to do.

"Lake Picnic?"

I watch as they both smile. I think Max feels so guilty for being so involved with school. He's in most academic clubs and a few sports but he loves Engineering. Marie is the top of their class and pushed into the Arts. So she is often forced to attend any schools concerts or practices. She really wanted to focus more on Language Arts. She loves writing. She's a natural at investigative writing. Regardless, I'm so proud of Max and Marie.

They only have a little over half a year before college now. They are both so smart. Academics have always been a big deal in our house. Dad always says only the best live in our house. He never allowed them to get below an A on anything. Max once brought home a B and he went insane yelling at him about how he was slacking off, that it would lead to him becoming a failure and he wouldn't amount to anything. I had never seen my Dad so mad.

Max and Marie have helped me with everything. I hardly ever have to ask my parents for anything. They tutor me on homework, upcoming quiz and help with projects.

That's all going to change soon...

"Hurry and dress, Mom and Dad are heading to an appointment in 10 and we'll head out after they leave." Max goes to leave the room, kissing my forehead as he passes.

"Let's wear your suit under your clothes to save time and we can pack spare clothes in the bag." Marie walks over to the closet and starts pulling down an outfit that would hide my suit and adding a spare to the stack on my bed for after the fun.

"We are staying there for the day right?" At Marie's nod I continue, "We better pack a few extra blankets then. Remember what happened last time!" I giggle at the memories.

For the last five years we've been going to the Lake on my birthday. But last year Marie thought Max had grabbed the blanket for the picnic but Max thought she did. So we ended up eating on the ground and got covered in ants in 5 seconds.

Marie cringes and shivers painfully dropping an outfit. "Please don't remind me. I felt bugs for months." I remember Marie having those nightmares for a while. I'm pretty sure she still has them but she'd never admit it. I know she screams and cringes irrationally every time she sees a bug near her. I'm still trying to quiet my giggling at the memory when a wad of clothes smack me in the face.

"Stop laughing at me." Marie demands tersely standing before me with her hands on her hips.

"Sorry." I say earnestly. She smiles before hugging me tightly.

"Hurry and dress squirt, we'll leave in 15." Marie says pushing the hair from my face before kissing my forehead and exiting the room.

It's been about 30 minutes since the twins woke me up. But I have finally managed to get my hair up and I'm fairly confident in it staying up all day. Heading down stairs I see my Dad grabbing his keys and coffee mug.

"Sang!" He says when he sees me rushing down the stairs. "Your mother has an appointment so we will be gone most of the day. Listen to your brother."

I nod quietly. Waiting patiently on the bottom step for a birthday wish even as Mom walks in from the kitchen.

"Sang. Marie said you all were heading out. Stay in their line of sight. Always. Don't wonder off and don't talk to strangers. There's bad people everywhere just waiting for the prefect time..." The last few months have been strange. Mom has made several comments about bad people, attacks, kidnapping, murders and rapes. Now she has become noticeably scared to go out. The other day she and I were supposed to pick up the twins from their practices but she had a panic attack thinking about walking out the door so I had to call Dad.

"We're going to be late, if you don't hurry." Dad states firmly interrupting Mom. He's very impatient with her lately constantly ignoring her worried comments and rushing her to get over them, forget them. 

"I just want to make sure my kids are safe!!!"

"This lecture isn't anything the kids haven't heard before. Unfortunately the appointment will be, so let's go." Dad argues and roughly grabs Mom by the arm leading her out the front door. They argue all the way to the car and are still arguing when they pull out of the drive.

I waved unnoticed by the front door and watch them drive off. They forgot my birthday.

I don't realize that I'm still standing at the open door until Marie and Max approach ready to leave.

I sincerely hope today is a good day. I wish there was a star out. It is my birthday after all.