Chapter 10: Finally Free

~I do not own Lab Rats~

Douglas's POV:

Experiment: No Pulse

Purpose: Makes it feel as if you have no pulse. Can use to trick enemies into thinking you're dead.

Test Subject: A small dog, possibly a Chihuahua.

Result: Failure

Side Effects: Turned the paw of the dog blue. Possibly some small blue coloring of skin. Otherwise, unknown.

My eyes are wide the entire time I read the label of the needle that was injected into Chase. At the same time I gave the smallest chuckle when I think of how good I am at faking my own death.

Coming out of my quick thought, I rush straight out of the room and into the next. I am shocked by the sight in front of me.

Donald has tears streaming out of his eyes, leaning over a blue Chase.

Wait! A blue Chase?! How did his entire body turn blue in a matter of about fifteen minutes?!

"What happened?" I quickly ask.

Donald looks up at me with sad eyes and says, "I don't know."

"How can you not know?"

"I was setting up Bree's heart monitor, and when I finished and looked back, he was like this!" My eyes drift over to where Bree is placed, and her heart monitor is perfectly set up. Everything's normal, for Bree's heart rate that is. Nothing else is at this moment, and I don't know if 'normal' will ever be the word to describe all our lives.

"What's in your hand?" Donald suddenly asks me. I look down at the needle in my right hand, and I toss it over to him. He is barely able to catch it.

"Is this what was injected into Chase?"

"Yeah, but the only side effect recorded on their is the blueness of the skin."

"Did it ever go away?" I look away, guilty. "Douglas, what did you do?" He suddenly gasps. "Did you kill the dog?"

"What? No, no, no, why would I kill it? It wasn't dying."

"You tried to kill my son."

"My son, Donnie. Always has been, and always will be."

"So, what did you do with the dog?"

"Well, since there was no use in keeping it. I kind of, might have, sort of, dropped him off at the animal shelter and ran." Donald was listening to me intensely, but is taken aback by that.

"You didn't keep the dog?! Didn't you want to know what happened, what if there are more side effects? Ones that could cause serious damage. Douglas, when will you ever realize what you have done?" I'm not sure what to say after that.

"Show me to your lab, I might be able to find an antidote." I am still speechless, so I just nod and lead him out of the room. We go down a couple hallways, and onto a hidden elevator.

The whole elevator ride is filled with awkward silence, until I decide to break the ice. "I didn't know it would go this far. I never knew that any of this was going to happen."

"How could you? But it all needs to stop, now."

The elevator ding and its door opening, stops me from having to respond. I am very grateful for that, because I have no idea what I would've said.

"Nice lab, better than your others." Donald compliments as he looks around. I would say that I am particularly proud of this lab.

The walls are all a light gray, and the floor is concrete. In the back right are three capsules, along with a small computer area next to them. Smack dab in the middle of the room is my main cyber desk, which right now is cluttered with multiple piles of paper. The back left of the room is where the emergency exit is, along with a self-destruct button. You have to break the glass, however, to get to it.