1

Disclaimer: I do not own the rights to any (song) names/persons mentioned in this story. This is a fictitious representation of events. Uses are for entertainment purposes only.

--

October 15th, 2015 - 8:59am - ICBN - Hampton University - Hampton, VA

"Life As We Know It"

Nicki skipped up the stairs, two at a time as she raced to the testing center for her midterm math exam

Nicki skipped up the stairs, two at a time as she raced to the testing center for her midterm math exam. Though she was infamous for being late to things, today being late wouldn't cut it. Once the doors closed, they locked. And there would be no exceptions. Or excuses.

"Fuck." She swore as she checked her phone at the top of the stairs. It was 9am on the dot.

She had less than 60 seconds to make it to class. That is if they hadn't already closed the doors. Nicki pushed her little legs as far as they would take her, ducking and dodging the few stragglers in her way. The door was just closing as she ran up.

"No no no no!" She slapped the door with her free hand. "I'm here Mr. Davis! I'm here."

"Onika." He rolled his eyes, but stepped aside. "Nice of you to join us."

She gave him a nervous smile as she slipped past, heading to her open seat in the back of the room. There were no assigned seats. Onika just chose to sit in the exact same place every class period. And though she was late almost every time, the rest of her peers knew it leave it for her.

"As I was saying." Her instructor continued. "You have the entire class period to finish the test but should you finish early you are free to go. I do recommend utilizing all the time you have, it never hurts to go back and check your work for operational errors."

Onika set her books down and fished in her bag for a pen. Though they were encouraged she hated using pencils, especially if they weren't mechanical. Pens motivated her to work carefully and if she ever made an error she would just simply draw a line through it and move on.

As she got settled the LED light on her phone flashed, letting her know she had a message.

Baby: You get in?

She responded quickly then dropped her phone inside her book bag to avoid the distraction.

Nic 😏: Yeah. No more sleepovers this week

"Take one copy of the test and pass it to your neighbor. Please make sure to show your work, even for the simplest problems." The class collectively groaned. "And to be sure that you do.. this will be a no calculator exam."

"Are you serious?" Onika made a face as she zipped her bag.

Math already wasn't her strongest subject. Sometimes she felt so unsure she would use her calculator to multiply or divide even the simplest equations. And now without the aid of it, it seemed as if she should've stayed in bed with her boyfriend anyway. There was no way she would be passing this exam.