Too young, too dumb

It was a perfect bright sunny day to go to church for Maya, especially because it is their summer vacation. She sat at the spare seat inside the chapel with her mother and siblings, a younger brother or two waiting for her father's sermon for today. He was a preacher.

While wiping up the fog in her glasses, she sees a blur image of a guy who just walked pass her side. 'He smells like strawberries' she thought.

When everything looks clear, her father's already in front starting his sermon. It was about same sex marriage. Hearing her own father saying those hate talks about homosexual people made her eyebrows to furrow.

But she thought, who cares? She still believes on everything he says. Not because he's her father but she knows that's what also written in the holy book. She surely has nothing against  it.

When it's over, some guy approached her dad. He looks a bit mad. A guy around 19, just 3 years older than her. He dressed so well in an ocean blue polo shirt tucked in his pants. She observed.

Maya didn't hear their conversation because she was about 20 feet away from them. And at the same time, she thought her father's conversation with the guy didn't turn out good. The guy walked out still with a very mad face. Which made Maya to stand there with all the confusion in her face.

Her father walked towards her,

"Where's your mom and brothers?." He asked.

"Mom's talking with the ladies, Jared and Tyler were with Uncle Bob at the playground." Maya explained shyly.

"By the way dad, who's that guy you're talking to --" she added.

"Oh just a gay guy who told me to take back everything I've said." He said rolling his eyes.

"He's gay? I mean, he doesn't look gay to me. And I bet he's new."

"He is new. Unfortunately they bought the house next to ours."

"Why is that seem to sound like a bad thing?."

"It's written in the Bible that we should love our neighbors, I don't think I could learn to love that sinner. Go get your brothers, I'm calling your mom. We're going home." He said tapping her shoulder and directed to the direction where Maya's mom is.

Maya thought about it. If it is necessary for her to hate the gay guy just like her dad. After finding her brothers they went home and ate lunch together.

The usual thing they do. Silence. Focusing to their food.

"Dad, what is gay?." Tyler, Maya's three year old brother innocently asked. Which made their father spill orange juice to his pants.

"Let me help you with that." Their mother said taking some napkin wiping the wet area.

When the doorbell suddenly rang, Maya stood up saying "I'll get it."

But she was surprised seeing the gay guy. There was a wide smile on his face that could actually melt her heart any moment.

"Oh, by the way I am Alexander. But I prefer you calling me Alex. I live next door. Is Mr. Faulkerson there?. My mom baked this, I just want to offer it to him as a peace offering for everything I've said."  He was not so bad after all, she thought as she took the one he's referring to. He seems like a happy person. His smile is so genuine as well.

How could dad hate someone like this?

"Maya. W--would you like to come inside or something?." She awkwardly said.

"Uh no. I just want to drop this by. I had something to do. See you around some time." He said smiling.

"Okay. By the way, thanks for this." Maya said as she finally close the door and flashed a smile she didn't understand.

"Dad, the gay guy got you something for peace offering." She said placing it on the table.

"Mmm. That smells good." Jared, her 5 year old brother said.

"Throw it away. We might also got infected by his gayness or it might been poisoned." Their dad bluntly said.

"But dad--"

"Just throw it away Maya!." He said. Silence.

So Maya took it, she thought of throwing it but she didn't. She secretly takes it to her room. Because she thinks that her father's behavior is just so irrational to tolerate. And went back to the dinning room like nothing happened.

At Alexander's place,

"Mom, I'm going now." Alexander said to his mom.

His father died months ago, he was a soldier. Even though he hates the idea of his only son being gay, Alexander still loves and respects him. He's also thankful that his mom is always there for him inspite of her busy schedule.

"Take care, just don't get yourself killed." His mom simply said. She was busy managing all their expected expenses for the following days and weeks. She's actually a business woman.

"Sure mom. Love you." As he kissed her goodbye.

He drove their car towards the neighbor town where everything and people around doesn't let him feel isolated.

Alexander meet his other gay friends there, at a bar particularly including his boyfriend Phil. They've been together for 2 years now. He directly approached him with a passionate kiss. And for him, it was the most normal thing to do.