Chapter Five

Niall's POV

"Come in," I hear the voice of Sergeant Gifford from behind his office door. Clutching Liam's resignation papers in my hand, I open the door and step into the room.

The sergeant is sitting in front of his desk in a black high-backed leather chair, going through a number of files. He doesn't look up while I close the door behind me and stand, waiting for him to allow me to step closer or sit down.

I discretely clear my throat. "Um, Sir..." I say quietly, my hands folded behind my back for good posture. Liam taught me the trick.

Sergeant Gifford finally looks up and makes a face that suggests, he only just noticed me. Which is ridiculous if you consider he just invited me in. I bet Liam would've not been treated like this.

"Oh, Mister..." the man's voice fades.

"Horan," I remind him, "Mr. Horan, Sir." I try to give him a smile but it feels rather awkward and forced.

"Yes, Mr. Horan," he says politely, putting down the sheet of paper was holding, "The intern who was introduced to us by Officer Payne, is that right?"

"Yes, Sir, that's right. I'm the intern," I nod my head. Not for long, though, I think to myself. Even though I still don't absolutely like the idea. I didn't exactly have a great time working here, these past months. But orders are orders, and I do understand that it's the best plan for us to stay on top of things.

"Well, Mr. Horan," Sergeant Gifford smiles at me, "I hope you're enjoying your time with us?"

"Absolutely, Sir. Yes," I lie and gibe a smile in return.

"Excellent," he says, obliviously, "What can I do for you?"

"I was sent to give you this," I tell the other man, holding up the envelope with Liam's resignation and taking a couple of steps towards the desk, "The lady at the front desk asked me to bring it up to you. She seems to be very busy this morning." I didn't think it would be a good idea to tell the Sergeant that Liam gave the resignation to me in person. Of course, also to the police, the two of us are friends but they don't have to know how close we are.

Sergeant Gifford raises his eyebrows in mild surprise and gestures for me to bring it over to him. "Well, I think I need to have a word with Mrs. Miller," he says, taking the envelope from me. "I wonder where she got the idea of using the interns of our department to run errands for her? She has her own interns to order around."

A nervous chuckle escapes my mouth. "Oh, I didn't mind, Sir," I tell him quickly, "I was just on my way in, anyway." In reality Mrs. Miller did not seem busy, and she did not give me anything. Not even a glance.

I watch the man in front of me turn the envelope around to look at the name on the back. His eyes widen for a moment. "Well, well," he says, looking back up to me, "We just mentioned his name, and now here he is." He waves the envelope.

"Sir?" I say to keep up appearance.

"Oh, never mind, Mr. Horan. You may leave now," he waves me off and starts to open the envelope. "Just promise me that you won't take orders from the reception lady anymore," he smiles mildly.

I nod my head, smiling in return once more, and leave the room. I am sure the guy is only this friendly to me because he likes Liam so much. Word is, he's a very reserved and taut man. Nobody really knows him because he is all about the business.

I walk through the open space office and make my way to Officer Chapman's desk. I am usually partnered up with Liam whenever both of us work the same shift. But whenever he's off and I am not, I am expected to meet the staff executive to be assigned a supervisor for the day.