Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Whispers seemed to echo across the corridors as Eve walked to her homeroom. She was wearing a black dress which dropped to just above her knees, and her dark hair was let down and covering as much of her face as it possibly could.

Eyes followed her as she walked. Just one more corridor, she reminded herself. And then she could hide away for the rest of homeroom, away from the eyes of every single pupil in the school.

When Eve arrived, she took a seat at the back of class. It was an odd action, as she was usually one of the ones who sat in the middle. She wasn't a 'super keen front row' student, but she also wasn't a 'sit at the back of class and hope that the teacher doesn't talk to me' student. However, today was a different situation. Perhaps no one would notice her if she sat out of their view.

Slipping her headphones on, Eve nodded her head to the beat slightly. Somehow the music calmed her.

When the final bell rang, the teacher cleared her throat and began talking.

"Morning, class," she began, her eyes trailing around the room and only pausing for a fraction of a second on Eve. It wasn't enough for everyone to notice, but it was enough for Eve.

"We are having an assembly in honour of Madison Rivera this morning. It might overrun, so your first lesson will likely be shorter." A couple of the kids cheered. Eve couldn't help but think how disrespectful it was.

"So, let's make our way to the auditorium."

The students around Eve all stood up and Eve followed shortly after. Not one of them waited for her.

The walk through the school halls was short, but it seemed to take an eternity. The rows of lockers went on forever, and the halls were longer than they had ever been before.

Eve was the last in her class to enter, and as she looked around the auditorium all eyes were on her. A hush rippled across the crowd, like a blanket of silence was slowly covering her peers.

She looked down at the floor, took in a deep breath, and started up the steps of the bleachers. Her usually spot amongst her friends was empty, and she paused in front of them, waiting for them to shuffle along so she could fit. But they only stared back, their faces grave.

One by one she studied their faces for any signs of what was going on.

Nathan was looking at his feet, his face paler then she had ever seen it before. Leah and Brooke glared at her, their eyes narrowed into thin slits. Their faces, unsmiling, were a perfect reflection of each other. Their gazes didn't waver once.

Then there was Jason. His jaw was set in a stern line, and his body was tensed, as if he too could feel hundreds of eyes looking his way. He didn't look her in the eye, but instead stared at a small freckle above her eyebrow. After a few moments he turned to face Leah, his lips curling into a slight smirk as she grinned back. Eve felt sick.

She looked a Savannah, her last hope. She looked nervous, with her chin quaking just a little. Her eyes were wide and glassy, as she looked up to her friend. Eve noticed that she was wearing very little makeup today, highly contrasting with the other girls she had already been rejected by. Slowly her eyes dropped and she shook her head. It was a subtle shake, but enough for Eve to know that she was longer welcome.

Eve turned and walked out. It might be a memorial assembly for her sister, but there was no way that she could stick around.

A/N- I know it's short, but I thought you deserved something. Let me know what you think of the story so far, and feel free to give me any suggestions for improvement/ future chapters. :)