part one

Aubrey Posen may seem like she has a tough exterior to those who don't know her very well, and maybe that is partly true. But as the youngest troupe captain of Bella scouts history at only 18, she has to have at least a little edge. After all, there is a legacy to uphold. With her mother being the youngest before her, and her father a well decorated former Eagle Scout, as well as a high ranking officer in the Marine Corps, there was a lot to live up to. Being the only child to such prestigious parents is definitely not ideal for someone with anything other than a tough exterior.

But she isn't all rough edges and accolades. There is a side to her that no one aside from her scouts has ever witnessed. An Aubrey that sings sweetly to her troupe before lights out on camping excursions. A girl who carries character bandages in her travel first aid kit, along with everyone's favorite suckers (she has them memorized). Someone who goes above and beyond for the kids she oversees, even behind closed doors.

So when little Emily Mitchell's father didn't show up to pick her up from their summer meeting, Aubrey decided to do the sensible thing and drive the girl home.

"Grab your things Emily, I will take you home." She spoke to the teary 7 year old as calmly as she could. The child's face bore a look that revealed that maybe this isn't the first time she had been forgotten, but Aubrey's silent fury will definitely ensure that this would be the last.

While she was unfamiliar with the home life of the newest edition to her troupe, the couple of weeks with her has shown how special the girl is, and they have definitely formed a bond. Her unmatched ambition at such a young age reminds the troupe leader so much of herself. In fact, little Emily, or "Legacy" as she is often referred to because of her prodigious skill, is the only scout who has even come close to breaking numerous records set by the young troupe leader. Aubrey was fiercely protective over her Bellas , and was a force to be reckoned with when she felt like any of them had been wronged. Mr. Mitchell was in for an unpleasant surprise.

Meanwhile at the Mitchell household...

"Damn it." Beca cursed as she pushed through the ajar front door.

"Em?" No response.

"Goddamn it, Frank." She heard his grumbling before she actually saw her father. Francis Mitchell was currently sprawled across the coffee table shirtless and covered in his own vomit. Even barely conscious, the man still managed to grip his nearly empty bottle of Jim Beam.

Beca put her stuff down on the counter and began filling a pitcher with frigid water. She walked over to her unfortunate excuse for a father and dumped the water over his head, effectively springing him  into action as he shot up and instinctively threw the bottle, which exploded into wicked shards and trickled onto the floor and down the wall.

"What. The. Fuck. Dude what is your problem?" The man yelled, and Beca was assaulted by the stench of alcohol even from where she was standing.

"You forgot about Em, you asshole. You were supposed to pick her up two hours ago, but instead I come home to find you passed out in the living room!" She was livid and tired. Tired from her shift at the record store, tired from the crowded subway, and beyond tired from her father's incompetence.

"Clean yourself up, I'm calling Stacie." And she grabbed her things and headed up the stairs to her room, still very much pissed that her dad managed to forget his 7 year old daughter at her Bella Scouts meeting. She can't even go pick her up herself because he totaled the car the night he got a DUI at the beginning of the summer. She also has too much pride to ask Sheila, her dad's girlfriend, for a ride. The older woman lends her car to Frank often, but she's a gold digging bitch and Beca refuses to stoop to that level herself.

Beca threw her bag on the bed and dug out her phone to dial her best friends number. After two rings she picks up.

"Hey Becs, what's up?"
"Hey Stace. Not the greatest way to start a conversation but I need to ask you a favor. I'll give you gas money and everything. Frank didn't pick up Em from Bellas tonight and you know I wouldn't ask if I wasn't desperate."
"Beca, you know I'd do anything for you and Emily. Just text me the address and I'll head over now. Oh and replace the gas money for dinner and you've got a deal."
"Stacie I can feel you winking through the phone."
"You know the Hunter has a thing for musicians."
"I'm hanging up now. Thanks again, I'll send you the address."
"Anything for the light of my life, fire of my loins—"

And with that Beca hung up. Stacie was...different. But she has been there for Beca and Emily since the two moved into town after their mother passed, so she just accepts the leggy brunette. Just as Beca began typing the address, the doorbell rang.

Confused, because the Mitchell's never have guests (aside from Stacie, but she just barges in or uses the spare key), Beca approaches the door. She breathes a sigh of relief when she takes note of her fathers absence and hears a shower running. She doesn't bother checking who it may be before opening the door.