Death is Everywhere

When the apocalypse first started I took my phone and put it in a box and bured it. It was my way of saying good bye to the old world. Even Mavie insisted on putting her favorite blanket in. She was probably trying to prove that she was mature enough to understand this world. But none can understand it. No one.

We make our way to an area where the trees are in a circle. The leaves litter the ground. Andrew pushes me to my knees. I groan and I put my hands to my side. I rub against the side of my boot and feel something. My knife! I hear the gun cock.

“Please Andrew. Don’t.” he laughs as I say this and makes his way over to me and kneels down and presses his lips to mine and slap him and he growls.

“This is why you’re going to die. All you have to do is love me that’s all I ask.” How could he be so crazy?  I’ve never really loved anyone as much as Mavie. That is until Daryl came along. I feel him press the gun to the top of my head.

“Be strong. It’ll be over fast.” He chuckles, quoting what I said the night he almost died.

I slowly move my hand into the boot. I hear the safety switch click. I quickly grab the knife and slash Andrew’s shins. He flies to the side. The gun lands ten feet away from me. I run as fast as I can but before I can reach the gun he trips me and I fall to the ground. He climbs on top of me and punches me in the face. I try to cut him with my knife but he forces my hand down to where it’s only an inch from my neck. Then I roll over and lose my knife and he rips it from my hands. I stand up as quickly as possible. I reach for the gun. And run backwards. He rises slowly putting one of his hands to his cut shin, grasping the knife in his other.

“Please Andrew don’t do this. I can’t kill you.” I beg

“Well you either kill me or you die.” He says and starts running towards me with a limp in his stride. I struggle to raise my gun. I aim and I pull the trigger. The bullet pierces his chest. He falls to the ground. I stand for a moment stunned at what I just did.

I killed Andrew.

I run over to him and see he’s still breathing barely. I kneel on the ground and put his head on my knees. I lean over him. “I’m so sorry Andrew.” I whisper

He brushes his hand across my cheek. “It’s okay… did I ever tell you how pretty you are… oh I see Mavie and your parents I’m going to go n-..” I watch as the life leaves his eyes. I a stray tear of mine falls onto his cheek. I can’t look at his face anymore. I take that plaid shirt wrapped around my waist and place it lightly on his head. I crawl over to a tree and sit up against it and look at his body. The shadow that once cast over his lifeless body disappears. I look up at the sky. It’s dark now. The sun is completely gone. I feel completely gone. I then am interrupted.

I hear the crunching of leaves. I walk over to my knife which was flung in our struggle. I run behind a tree and hear the crunching getting closer. I raise my knife and swing but something grabs my arm. I lean forward to see who or what it is.i see those sapphire eyes that I have got me through hell and back. It’s Daryl. I wrap my arms around him and take in a huge breath. I look at Glen’s expression. He looks towards the body with surprise. I turn to look at it and Daryl does the same.

“I had to do it. He was going to kill me and…” I trail off and I look down.

“What?” Daryl touches his fingers to my chin.

“He said that he was going to kill you.” I look into his eyes “I could deal with dying, but once he said that he would kill you. That’s when I knew I had to fight.” He pulls my head into my shoulder.