Chapter 1

From the second I was born I was strange. I didn't cry. The doctors thought I was dead but I had a heart beat and was breathing just fine, I was in perfect health I just didn't cry. When I was a toddler I never played with toys. I would simply stare at the wall. This lasted well into my pre-teens so my parents took me to a psychologist but they found nothing wrong with me. My parents being the Catholics they are took me to a priest. My parents explained what happened and he ran test on me, if you could call them that. It was more like he threw holy water on me, saw my skin sizzle and my shriek of pain and locked me in the church basement. For a while the priest fed me, mostly scraps and the communion bread that went stale but eventually, he stopped. Now, I didn't want to die so of course I tried to escape. And after months and months of trying,I did. For a while I just snuck around him but I was tired of that so... I killed him. For a while I got away with it, hell nobody even knew I was there but my traitorous parents told the cops I was there. The police matched my finger prints to the ones on the knife. And that's how I got here, the drunk tank of a jail waiting to sign my confession. I would say it could be worse but being surrounded by drunk hobos was not my favorite. And that's not even mentioning the two naked guys beside me.

"So, uh why are you here?" I hear a rough voice beside me say. I look toward the voices owner. It's a man. His face dirty and scared, like he came straight out of an episode of survivor. His jaw line is strong and his eyes are tired. His hair is shaven off. Not shiny bald more like the kind of hair you would see in the military.

"Oh, I uh..." I don't want to tell this random naked man that I murdered a guy. I mean it was because he wasn't feeding me but still, how could I explain that I was locked away because I was fucking Satan spawn. He looks at me expectantly. Shit I gotta say something fast. I tell him that I was arrested for stealing a loaf bread. He doesn't seem to care too much. Saying that if I was hungry than it was okay. I nod before looking away.

"I'm Eric and this is my brother Will." He says and points to other naked man beside him. His hair is shaggy, brown and messy. His jawline was soft and complimented his bright blue eyes nicely. He waves at me, avoiding eye contact. He seems quite awkward, but I mean he is naked.

"I'm Isabelle." I say smiling. They seem nice enough for two naked men that I met in a police station.

My head jerks up by the sound of the jail cell opening. The police man stands at the door, scanning the cell. He looks at the boys.

"You're free to go." He says. I look toward them both with a pleading look. They look at each other, Eric turns to me and nods. I smile and stand up. As we go to leave the officer stops me.

"Where do you think you're going?" He asks. For a second I just stare him in the eyes. Fuck it. I concentrate closing my eyes, channeling all my energy into tricking the man's mind. I feel his arm lift as I open my eyes.

"Well what are you waiting for? Leave." He says. I turn to the boys, they're both avoiding eye contact.

"We um... we need clothes." Eric says. The officer sighs and walks off.

"How did you do that?" Will asks. There's a childlike wonder in his eyes. He looks like I just showed him a magic trick. Which, I kind of did. I used what I call dowers. (It's a mix of the words demon and powers.) I first discovered that I had powers when I was 13, the priest came to give me some bread. I used my mind control on him to give me more bread. But it gives me an unbearable migraine. The second is memory/vision altering. It changes what someone remembers or see's. But, it only lasts for a few minutes. And I can make a little lighter sized flame come out of the palm of my hand.

"Long story." I say dismissively. Shortly after, the officer comes back with two outfits. He hands to the boys and points to a bathroom where they get dressed. We quickly rush out of the station.

"We need to go." I say looking behind me to see if the police have caught on yet.

"Why?" Eric asks. I grab both of their hands and drag them behind an alley. They stare at me inquisitively. I have no clue how I'm gonna explain this to them. I mean, I just met these guys. How can I say this without looking like a fucking psychopath? I look into their eyes and sigh. I begin to explain everything, the church, the murder, my dowers, everything. They stare at me. I can't tell what they're thinking but it can't be good.

"Say something please." I say staring at the ground.

"Prove it." Eric says looking at me like a parent grounding their child. I look up at him scared. How am I gonna prove it? It's not like I can show mind powers. Oh right! Flame! I lift my hand and show them my palm. I focus my power on making the little flame come out of my hand. It isn't hard sense it's such a small flame. I look at the flame for a second and then look up at him. Both boys are staring at the flame. Weirdly, neither of them looked shocked. Eric looks toward me.

"Let me see your arm." He says reaching for my arm. I jerk back, the flame demising.

"What?" I say. Eric says nothing as he grabs my right arm and rolls up my sleeve revealing the pentagram burned into my arm. The mark has been there since I first used my dowers. The night after I used my dowers to trick the priest to give me more bread I woke up to what felt like my arm catching fire. The pentagram had appeared in a flame and has been there ever since.

Eric lets go of my arm and stares at me. I keep my arm close to me.

"So, you're a demon too." He says and rolls up his sleeve. On his right arm is the same mark that's on mine. Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit! There's other demons out there! Holy fuck! This is great! I look up at him and smile.

"Will has it too." He says smiling. I'm so overwhelmed that I reach my arms around Eric and squeeze tightly. He chuckles and hugs me back. I let go and smile. Suddenly, I hear shouting. Fuck, cops.

"We gotta go." I say. We all start running down the alley toward the lake nearby. I have I feeling these two naked men are gonna fuck up my life.