Chapter Two

My tutor, John Brookes, is a least twice my age and doesn't put up with any nonsense. I can't focus on ANYTHING today. It's Jo's fault. In a good way. To get on John's nerves, and because I can see Jo in her yard, right from the library window, I'm yelling out to her.

"Jo!" I shout out the window, cupping my hands around my mouth. "Why don't you and your sister come over and keep me company!"

"Hey!" John scolds, dragging my back into the room. "Girls don't like you shouting at them."

I snigger as he walks over to the window and tries to, politely, shout his apologies. I walk up behind him and I can see Jo laughing and waving at us. Her sister, Meg, is with her. She grabs Jo by the arm and says something to her. All I can see is the shake of her head. Whatever she said, Jo didn't like it. I see them both go into the house as John closes the window. He turns to me, arms crossed and a stern look on his face.

"You must have a death wish," he says, moving his fists to his hips. "Your grandfather doesn't pay me to let you slack in your studies."

"We've been doing nothing but studying for hours," I grumble, returning to my chair. "Did you know, in Finland students are required to give their brains breaks?"

"I know all about the Finland school system. I do want to try it out on you, but your grandfather wants more structure in your day. It's not up to me. Just my job to see that it's done."

I roll my eyes and slouch in my seat. My textbooks are all strewn across the table from being open for hours. John's phone rings and he's quick to answer it. He talks and walks right out of the room. I sit up and glance at the door. I wait to see if John is coming back, but then I hear another door further down the hall close. Oh, this day just got better.

I jump up from my chair and hurry to the window. I reach for the rope I've been keeping handy. It's tied to one of the marble pillars that's right next to the window. The library is only on the second level. I've scaled the side of the house many times. It's kinda like mountain climbing. Which I've done. Only I'm not wearing a safety harness. But I'm as reckless as they come, so I don't care.

I open the window and drop the rope down. Then, I double check to make sure John isn't returning. I can hear him talking in the other room, but no footsteps approach. I slip out the window and slowly let myself down the rope. When my feet dangle about a foot from the ground, so I let myself drop. Somehow, I lose my footing fall right on my backside. I grunt, waiting for my body to recover from having the wind knocked out of me. Then, I'm on my feet and racing across the yard towards the fence that separates Gramps' house from the March house.

I hop the fence and find Jo sitting in a tree swing. She's wearing jeans and sneakers, and a plain, black T-shirt. She smiles when she sees me.

"Hey!" she says, hopping from the swing and meeting me halfway. "I was waiting for you to text or call."

"I couldn't get away from the tutor," I reply, shrugging. "I ordered something last night. I think you might be interested in it."

"Intriguing. Is it as interesting as watching you fall on your butt?"

Jo says this while trying not to giggle. Fail. I pretend to be offended, letting my mouth fall wide open.

"You didn't see anything," I say, crossing my arms and shaking my head.

"I did!" she laughs, "It was the funniest thing I've ever seen! You were doing alright until that point."

I try to hold my annoyed expression for as long as I can. But then we're both laughing. Loudly.

"It was pretty funny, wasn't it?" I ask as we go to sit under the tree.

"Very," Jo replies, still giggling. "But don't worry. I won't put it Public Men's Society newspaper."

"The what?"

"Oh . . . It's a secret society of I and my three sisters are the only members. We meet every Wednesday and talk about the latest in news and other nonsense. We pretend to be middle-aged men in the nineteenth century."

"Really? Sounds like fun."

And it does. Jo starts talking about some of the things she and her sisters do, and I feel a bit jealous. But not in a bad way. There's just something about their fun and games that makes me want it, too.

"You were going to tell me that long story," Jo says after a while, tucking her knees to her chest.

"I was," I reply, nodding. "Well . . . I lived with my mother in France-"

"You were in France?! As in Europe?!"

Jo's outburst makes me jump, but I laugh at her reaction.

"Yeah," I say, shrugging.

"I'm going to Europe!" she yells, but then shakes her head. "I mean, I might go. Aunt March goes almost every year. She said she'd think about taking me next time. I've always dreamed of going! What's it like?"

I smile and proceed to tell every little detail I can. Eventually, the conversation steers towards my mother and what happened to her. But I don't go into detail about her death. Jo doesn't push for details about that either. She just reaches over and gives my hands a gentle squeeze. Then pulls away and keeps listening to me talk.

When I'm finished, Jo jumps to her feet and offers me her hand.

"We're late," she says as she helps me up.

"Late for what?" I ask as she tugs me towards the back door of her house.

"It's Wednesday!" she replies, leading me through the house and up two flights of stairs. "But I can't let you in just yet. I'll knock on the wood with my cane as the signal. Okay?"

"Sounds perfect."

Jo grins and releases my hand before hurrying into, what looks like, the attic.

***

I've been sitting next to the attic door for what feels like forever. But I can hear funny voices and laughter. The girls are really enjoying themselves. Jo's mother notices me sitting on the stairs and with an amused smile, asks if I need anything.

"I'm fine," I tell her, shaking my head. "Just waiting for my entrance."

"Okay," she laughs, "Don't let them wear you out. Because they will."

I grin and nod. Mrs. March disappears just as a loud knocking sound fills the air. I'm quick to burst through the door. I do a somersault as the girls shout and scream in terror. I remain on my knees as I pull myself upright, arms stretched out.

"Sirs," Jo says in a deep voice, and it's hard not to laugh at her getup. "I introduce to you, Mr. Theodore Lawrence."

She makes a face, as if expecting me to say something. I'll oblige.

"Gentlemen," I say, changing my voice to sound older. "I wish to offer my allegiance to the Public Men's Society. Ne'er shall I reveal the secrets for which I hear to anyone on the outside."

Jo giggles, "Well?" she asks, trying to get more reaction from her sisters.

I remember Meg, but the other two I've never seen before. They are much younger, probably not even teens yet. But they are wearing top hats, large overcoats, and black dress shoes. Must be their dad's grandfather's old clothes. Or something.

Meg stands, holding her cane out like a sword. I wait as she approaches, and then taps the end of the cane on both my shoulders.

"Welcome to the Public Men's Society," she says, bowing. "Sir Laurie."

The girls cheer and the smallest of the four is quick to climb on my back. I'm surrounded by females, but this is so much better than sitting at home at a desk, studying.