Chapter 21

What did Jared mean by war?

Amy stood in her place, her mind reeling in confusion, as people passed by her, hardly stopped to give her frozen figure a second glance.

"Amy! Amy!" Liann yelled, shaking Amt out of her trance.

"Did you hear? Red Crescent pack has declared war on us! They don't want you and Sam to be mates anymore. You have to stop them!" Liann said, making Amy shake her head.

"Stop them? How can I do that? I don't even understand why they declared war. Over me, no less. Can't Jared just let me be happy?" Amy said, let out a deep sigh as she shook her head.

"Both the packs have been rivals for too long. They can't accept it that your mate is from their rival pack," Liann explained, making Amy frown.

"Pack? I'm not from any pack! I'm not even werewolf!"

Liann's features softened. "Amy, you may not be a werewolf but your family is part of Red Crescent pack. As long as you're here, you will come under that pack," she explained.

"But, I still don't get it why they are going to go to war over this. Can't it just be resolved peacefully? I mean, people, innocent people, would die because of this. That's not how it's supposed to be. I don't want people dying over me," Amy reasoned.

Liann bit her lip. "I have an idea. Mind you, this could not go well but maybe, you could go and approach the Elders. They can help you in this matter."

"The Elders?" Amy had never heard of them before. Was it like a council of werewolves?

"Yes, the Elders. They are not exactly old but they have studied from this special werewolf school that trains them to handle matters when the Alpha of a pack is being unreasonable. As crazy as it sounds, despite not having the blood of an Alpha, they are actually much more powerful than an Alpha. Maybe, you should talk to them. They might either help you, or ignore you but at least, you tried, right?"

Amy nodded. She had to do something. She couldn't let people die because of her. As selfish as it was, she did not think she could take the guilt that they died over her. It was too much of a burden for her to bear.

If meeting the elders could help, she had to do it. There was no other choice.

•••••••••••

Amy entered the beautiful blue building that screamed out 'danger' the moment she stepped in. Or maybe, that was just her own perception. To anyone else, it was a simple, light blue painted building with huge white pillars that stood proudly on the town's most expensive land, making every passerby covet it.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" Amy called out as her foot stepped on the wooden panelled floor, her voice echoing around the house.

"Hello! Welcome to the Elders Headquarters! How can we help you?" an old woman said, burying her head behind the trolley stacked with papers, her wrinkled fingers gripping the trolley handle as she made her way to Amy.

Amy narrowed her eyes at the aged woman. Her voice sounded really familiar. Amy's eyes widened as she saw the woman's face.

"Grandma?" she called out, blinking her eyes quickly, not believing what she was seeing.

"Amy! I was wondering when you would stop by! Come, dear child! Let me show you around my house!" she said as she took hold of Amy's hand and pulled her to a random door.

"Your house? I thought you lived in the family house!" Amy asked, confused. Amy rolled her eyes at herself. By the amount of time she had gotten confused in the past few days, she was sure her mind was going to explode soon.

"The family house? No, I don't live there! All elders have to live here, you know! I just go there to clean up your room and oversee my horrible children time to time," her grandmother said, making Amy force out a chuckle.

"Well, grandma, I actually came here for a reason," Amy started.

"I know! The Elders know everything, Amy. Gossip travels faster here than anywhere else," her grandmother said.

Amy nodded. "Then, you must be knowing how wrong this is! A war! It is too unreasonable!"

Her grandmother nodded, her long ankle-length dress flowing like the wind behind her.

"I know, Amy, but they are Alphas. Newly-titled at that. A stubborn, hot-headed lot. It's going to be hard. But I'll help. A war won't solve anything after all," her grandmother said, agreeing with Amy.

The both of them set out, reaching school just in time to stop both the Alphas from beating each other to a pulp.

"Don't you dare!" Zach yelled, shoving Jared who almost fell to the ground.

"Or what!" Jared said, pushing Zach before pulling back his fist to punch Zach's face.

Amy watched as her grandmother rushed between the two of them, stopping the fight effectively with just silently announcing her presence.

"Alpha of Red Crescent Pack, Alpha of Freedom Knights Pack, greetings. I have heard terrible news. War is about to break out between your packs. Are you sure that is the correct course of action you want to take?" her grandmother said.

Even though her voice was calm, Amy could feel the power radiating from it. She had never imagined her grandmother sounding so powerful before. It's like this was an entire new side of her.

Both the Alphas stared at Amy's grandmother, their eyes reflecting how much they wanted to argue with her. Amy guessed it must be because of the power her grandmother emitted that they weren't talking back.

"I thought so. You both cannot fight for someone who does not want to be fought over. However, since you both are still adamant to continue this war, I'll give you time to talk this over. I'll leave it to the both of you to choose the venue but you both, and Amy, must have a meeting where I am present. I'll let you make the decisions there. But remember, I'm not going to let this peace-loving town get destroyed by your foolishness. Farewell, Alphas," Amy heard her grandmother say before she walked back to the car.

Amy took in a deep breath. She just hoped that her grandmother managed to convince both the Alphas before they tried anything rash.

A war was something she didn't want, and she definitely didn't want it to happen over her.