The Institute

"So what's with the tats?" I ask curiously, as I stare at his ink covered skin.

"You really weren't kidding when you said she was new," he says directing his comment at Luke.

"Alec be nice," Luke replies "Anyway Azura they are called runes they're what give shadowhunters their abilities," he narrates as we walk down the busy grey streets.

"For instance, this one," Alec begins pointing at one of the 'runes' on his neck "Is a defence rune," we make a sharp turn down another street where fewer people seem to be walking around. Further, towards the end of the street, I can see a tall church-like building that looks as though it hasn't been inhabited for years.

As we near the building the exterior seems to melt away and now it looks well looked after with people with similar tattoos to Alec's moving around on the other side of the old paned windows.

"Is that the institute?" I ask Luke pointing at the beautiful building.

"Yes, Azi it is," Luke replies as we walk up to a set of large double doors. Alec opens one and gestures for us to enter, Luke goes first and I sheepishly follow behind him.

The interior of the institute was amazing there was high tech equipment and computers and heaps of the 'shadowhunters' bustling around them all wearing a similar black style outfit as Alec. As we walk further into the main room we are greeted by a girl with long black hair tightly tied in two braids. She is wearing a short black dress that seems to hug her figure a little too tightly for my liking along with her dress she has knee high black high heel boots and a red pendant hanging from her neck.

"Azi this is Alec's sister Izzy, one of the best shadowhunters I know," Luke says and Izzy sticks a hand out to greet me.

I take it and smile at her "Hi, I'm Azura."

"Oh cool name very unique," she smiles "Come on I'll introduce you to everyone else,"

______________

Izzy introduced me to a red-headed girl named Clary who was sweet and short. Jace who had long golden hair who was Alec and Izzy's stepbrother and a few of the other people floating around the institute when I had been introduced to everyone she took me to the kitchen so we could get something to eat.

"We have leftovers or I could make you something if you'd like?" She offers and she rummages through the fridge.

"Take the leftovers," I hear a familiar voice say from the doorway. I turn to see Alec leaning on the door frame sweaty and damp hair hanging in front of his face.

"Alec, how kind of you to join us," Izzy says sarcastically.

"Hey it's universally agreed no one likes your cooking I'm just helping her dodge a bullet sis, can you blame me," he says lightly.

"Always so rude big brother," she says rolling her eyes and pulling a plate of leftovers out of the fridge before sticking them in the microwave.

"Thanks, Alec," I say with a small laugh. He walks over to where I'm sited on a stool and takes the one next to me. Up close I can see that his black shirt is stuck to his skin because of the sweat and now shows a clear image of his abs.

"Have you been exercising?" I ask still starring.

"Training yes," he says coolly as Izzy comes over with a plate of chicken and veggies. I take the plate and begin eating, glancing occasionally over to Alec who is fiddling with his fingers as he talks to Izzy about demons or something. 

I take my now empty plate over to the sink and begin to rinse it when I hear footsteps behind me. I turn around to see Alec behind me. He takes the plate from my hand.

"Here let me," he says before continuing to wash it.

"Thanks," I say quietly.

"Azi," Izzy says breaking the awkward tension, "How about we go train yeah? Get you familiar with your new strengths," she hooks her arm around mine leading me out the door and down towards the training room.

_____________

Sorry for another short chapter and late update but school just started back this month and it's already exhausting.