Survival

1940 ᴡᴇsᴛᴇʀɴ ғʀᴏɴᴛ

Bullet after bullet flew by my head. So many of my brothers had fallen. The battlefield was littered with bodies, unable to identify on which side they had fought.

Everyday I would wake up and wonder if I would live to see the sunset. And so, I had watched each one as if it was my last. Last night's was remarkable, and something about that made me at peace about the thought of giving my life for king and country.

I slid down behind a boulder to catch my breathe. Inside the front pocket of my jacket was a picture of Peggy which I pulled out. It saddened me to know that the last conversation we might ever have was an argument. She was meant for more that sitting behind a desk. I would be happy if I knew she was happy, but I knew she wasn't truly happy.

After replacing the picture, I stood up and resumed my trek forward, stopping ocasionally to reload my rifle

After replacing the picture, I stood up and resumed my trek forward, stopping ocasionally to reload my rifle. My legs started to burn from the steepness of the terrain. Once at the top of the hill, I could see a small, undoubtedly abandoned, village.

As I slowly moved down the hill, I felt a sharp pain shred through my abdomen. I hurried to a low stone wall, and collapsed behind it for shelter, leaving a trail of blood on it. It would be no use to try to bandage it up. The bullet had hit an artery, and would be just a matter of time before I bled out.

Leaning my head agaist the wall, I thought of all the faces I'll never see again, my mother, father, and of course Peggy. My vision began to blur. This was it. I took out Peg's picture for the last time. The bullet had torn right through half her face, but my mind was able to fill in the rest. I took in one last breath before my world went dark.

I awoke to a bright light shining in my face. This had to be the afterlife. I had never been a very religious person, but what other explanation would there be? A shadow appeared above me. I tried to rub my eyes, but found my hands to be restrained.

"Captain Carter," The shadow said in a thick German accent, "Welcome to Stalag VII-A."