Oblivion: Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“Good thing you’re already here.” Sandra greeted me in with a gentle hug. I smiled at her and asked how my friend is doing, but it looks like this isn’t what I expected.

I went inside her ICU in a white robe and a cap Sandra handed me; I saw my best bud lying on the hospital bed and still unconscious. Tubes were around her, an oxygen tank is even supporting her to breathe. My knees felt weak as I saw how terrible the damage she has received.

“Why?” I asked as I felt tears stung my eyes.

“The only thing she told me is that she’ll be heading to your set to give you some kare-kare she cooked, because she told me that you shouldn’t spend Christmas Eve without your favorite dish.”

Silly George, she shouldn’t have done this.

“You could really be silly sometimes Georgie. I can manage Christmas Eve without the kare-kare.” I said as I smiled through the tears that were starting to fall. I love her; of course she’s the girl who stuck with me through the fame. I held her hand which is cold now; I warmed it with my hands like how I always do whenever she is cold.

“And also, she told me she’s got to tell you something. I told her to just call you but she insisted and did what she wants to.” I wondered what it could possibly be that she has to personally see me, why does she have to wander under the storm to my set.

“Oliver, could you possibly replace me for awhile? I’d just go home to get some clothes for us.” She told me interrupting my thoughts. I nodded in agreement, I know Sandra needs some time alone too and I know she needs to rest for awhile. Tonight is December 24, and a few hours from now it’ll be Christmas. And it also means Sandra has to be alone, why? It is all because of her ex-boyfriend Keith broke up with her on a Christmas Eve and Sandra rehashes every single memory of their relationship.

“Sure.” And with that she hugged me tightly in her arms and said, “George will be fine, she’s a strong girl.”

Then she let go of me, she stared at me like she has something else to say but instead she left me alone inside the room. I tentatively looked back at George, and she is in a bad shape. Her flawless skin is now full of wounds; I sat at the chair near her bed and tried to contain the pain stinging in my chest. But she’ll get through this; I know she will just like Sandra said my best bud is a strong girl.

I smiled as I remembered how we met and how she fought the people who bullied me. I hated her when she did that, for in my head I know she only did that out of pity. She always sits beside me during lunch breaks, and I began to think she is one annoying little girl. She even offered me her lasagna when my food was spilled by one of my bullies. Then it happened again and this time, she punched one of them for pushing me and causing a wound in my arm, it angered her teachers and even her parents. That’s when I realized she was sincere in everything she did for me.

Yeah, I was a weakling back in my elementary days and I hate that. But I am thankful at the same time, because it became a reason for me to become her friend.

There was even an instance, she saved me. Not from bullies but from my own faults.

When we graduated from elementary and became high school students, I gained friends and they are a lot. I became a social butterfly and the life of the crowd and I was living the dream of every high school students in our school, I became Hannah Grace Montenegro’s boyfriend. And that shot my fame in the spot light, that almost every girl in the school’s population has a crush on me.

And because of my status, a lot of my classmates invite me to their parties. It was Hannah’s birthday and of course I am expected to go because I am her boyfriend and also at the same time I should be working on a project with George for our Algebra class. We made a plan that we’ll share the work load, she’ll manage the half of it and the other half is mine.

The next day, I was awfully horrified when I remembered what I should’ve done. Our professor Ms. Gilligan is a strict one; she hates it when you can’t submit your project and assignments on time. When I informed George about what I forgot she too, was horrified but she didn’t shouted at me but instead she didn’t talked to me, when she’s angry she treats that person as if he or she’s got some sickness that might be transferred through contact.  When our names were called to present our project George didn’t left me in the air, she even told Ms. Gilligan that she was the one who forgot to do the other half of the workload.

Can you believe that? That is why this girl means a lot to me. She will always be the other half of me, my partner in crime and my silent guardian.

Then a knock on the door disturbed my thoughts, I quickly stood and saw a doctor came in with a small smile in his lips. “Are you the guardian of Ms. Walters?”

“No, but I am a very close friend of hers.” He shook his head in a monotonous way and he checked his clipboard and said, “Can you receive this report and let her relatives know about her situation by now?”

“Yes.” I took in a deep breath; I secretly crossed my fingers hoping that she’s fine and that she is recovering.

“Ms. Walters isn’t in a good condition, she is brain dead.”

For once I was lost for words, and I am trying real hard to search for them but seems like I am not lucky to find some.

“There is no chance for her to survive, most families just donate the organs and cut the life system out of the patient. What we could only do for her at this time is to support her through these machines and give those people close to her time to say their goodbyes."

And in that moment, I am very sure that what I need for her to survive is a miracle.