5

"The patient was just tired, he should be fine." The doctor doesn't even look at David as he examines his clipboard. "What a relief. I'm glad he's okay! I Wonder-" The doctor leaves abruptly, shutting the door with a firm slam. "Oh, he must have important things to do, huh?" Max mumbles and stirs in his sleep. David nervously slicks back his soaked air. "Things got pretty bad at the camp, But Nikky showed good ol' enthusiasm and bravery to the situation! A tree did fall on the mess hall, But im sure Gwen is able to handle it! I bet right now the kids are working together to fix the problem!" An awkward silence fills the room. David sighs shuts his eyes and leans back in the uncomfortable chair.

A nurse comes back several hours later. Max is staring at his stuffed bear with the hospital sheets ripped off the bed and wrapped around David's shoulders. "God im hungry, wheres breakfast!"He hisses. "Oh, Umm yes! breakfast will be here soon! would you like the children's menu?" Max cringes at the volume of her voice. His eyes shoot over to David whos eyes flicker open blinking at the ceiling light. "God damn it! Now he's wake! You guys carry coffee?" "Umm, we don't give coffee to our pat-"

"Wait you guys don't have coffee? What is this shit hole!" David is wide awake now and is chastizing Max for using foul language and being rude to the 'nice and caring' nurse. She cracks a nervous simile and backs out the door slowly. "I'll just go grab the menu then." and shuts the door behind her.

Another nurse wearing the same outfit meets her outside the door. "Hey, Kyra how did it go?" "Um, I'm not really sure. I thought that the little guy was abused by his father but it..it looks the other way around." "Wait, what? No way!" They gossip while they're high heels click and clack down the hall.

"-and the kid has no file in the system," they whisper outside the door. The nurse called Kyra holds a folded up menu under her arm. "They really are a weird bunch! They don't even look re-" "Wow, Max! you really are a trooper! Staying up all night to see if I got back safely!" "God damn it, David! I told you a million times! I was calling about the bear!" "See! I told you!" The nurses press their ears to the door. "Hey, eavesdroppers! I can hear you!" Max yells at the door. The nurse holding the menu slaps her hand over her mouth. Kyra turns the knob and walks in. "Sorry little guy to have startled you," "-startled?-" "but we were just discussing...business matters!" The nurse looks proud of her self for making up something believable. "Yeah, Max! No need to be rude to the person taking care of you!" Max's stomach growls. He rolls his eyes. "Whatever just give me the menu." The second nurse walks in nervously a places the menu on the side of his bed. Max's eyes scan the paper, his face contorting in disgust. "I bet the quartermaster has better items in stock," he says quietly leaning back in his bed and disregarding the menu on his nightstand. "Um, let me know if you make a decision." the nurse says tensely. "Get out." Max's voice is cold. The two nurses exchange glances and shrug and they both rush out the door.