Chapter 12 - New & Old Promises

*Yuki's pov*
Finally, I found him sitting on a wall. His legs pulled up to his chest and two strawberry lemonade juice boxes next to him.
"Calris!" I called, my voice shaky from running.
He turned his head and looked at me. The bright sun lining his red hair and face. His eyes looked dark and sad. Around his eyes were pink.

Calris..

*Calris's pov*
I turned my head back and brought my legs closer. I heard her walk closer to the wall, trying to figure out how to get on top.
"What do you want?" I asked sharply.
I saw her look at me from the corner of my eye.
"I-I wanted to come and make things right.." she said trying to climb up the wall.
My chest tightened.
"What did your 'childhood' friend give you lecture or something? To come apologize so you can ditch me to play volleyball." I barked trying to keep myself from letting out the tears that threatened to slip out.
"No he didn't, you know who did? Garrett did. And I wasn't going to ditch you guys. You're my friends I wouldn't even think about doing that." She said sternly.
"Sure, I bet you just wanted to run off with them." I said.
"I didn't! I was going to-"
"Then why didn't you tell us!" I Shouted turning to face her, the boxes falling of the wall.
"Why didn't you tell us about volleyball! You know how much it means to us and you just decide to keep it away! I thought you were different Yuki." I trailed, my eyes burning.
"Calris I was going to tell you!" She said her voice shaky.
"Sure you were. Just leave me alone." I said, hopping of and picking up my trash.
"Calris don't go I-I" she said stopping.
I clenched my fists and looked at her.
"You what Yuki?" I said looking in her eyes.
"I was going to tell you." I saw her clench her fists as well.
"That's what you said last time, why can't you just tell me." I said. A tear sliding down. Her eyes widened when she saw it.
"I wasn't ready to..." she started.
"I wasn't ready to tell you guys. I-I just thought that if I waited there would be a moment for it. To say hey I've played volleyball... I don't know it just sounded stupid when I thought about telling you guys. I guess I just thought that I felt weird when I talked about volleyball with you guys. It didn't feel right because I felt bad because I didn't like it as much as you guys did. I just wish I didn't hurt you..." she said tears streaming down her face. Yuki. I brought her closer and hugged her tightly. Holding her. Yuki. She then started crying on me holding onto my shirt.
"I'm sorry Yuki, I didn't mean to get like this. I didn't mean to yell at you." I said nuzzling my head on her hair. Tears slipping out.
"It was my fault. I was just being dumb." She mumbled. I pulled her away and cupped her wet face.
"No I shouldn't have pressured you into this. I'm at fault." I said looking into her blue eyes.
"I should've told you earlier Calris, I'm sorry."
I pulled her back to me and stroked her hair.
"You don't need to apologize shorty."
She moved her head up to look at me.
"Calris?" She asked.
"Yeah?"
"I want to play volleyball with you and Garrett. Our trio.." she mumbled, turning her head away.
"Only if you promise to tell Garrett and I about the volleyball later." I said ruffling her hair.
"I promise, now how about we get back because we've been gone a while. Won't we get-" I cut her off pulling her closer.
"Why do you want to leave?"
"Because if we don't get back we could get in trouble Calris." She said. I held her a bit tighter.
"I-it's not because of the other guy?" I stuttered.
"Katsuki? Wait are you jealous?" She asked pulling away and looking straight at me. I blushed.
"N-no! Why would I?"
She smiled. 
"You don't have to be jealous Calris. There's nothing like that between us."
I lifted an eyebrow at her.
"Friends that have been together for 12 years and you say there's nothing there?"
"Well I mean I don't have any feelings like that for Katsuki. He's like a brother to me. And besides I'm sure you've got a close friend too right?" She asked.
"No I don't. The closet friend I have is Garrett then you. I couldn't never make friends last. Or they just disliked me. I don't know.." I said pushing my hair back and leaned on the wall.

*flashback*
*5th grade year*
"Hey There's Calris! He likes to play a girl sport!"
"That's weird!"
"How can he even cooperate? He's so rude to everyone and ignorant."
"I know and he only hangs out with is himself."

Kids in 5th grade are the worst. All they ever do is try to pull people down if they wanna be different. Volleyball isn't just a girl sport. I held the volleyball in my hands tighter.
"Hey do you wanna play volleyball together?"
I looked up and saw a boy. A new student from another class I think. He had dark brown hair and yellow eyes.
"Y-you like volleyball?" I asked.
"I love it!" He laughed.
"Really!? I do too!" I smiled
"I'm Garrett! What do you play?"
"I'm Calris and I'm a spiker!"
"A spiker? Perfect! I can be your setter then!"
"Yeah! Hope you can keep up Garrett!"

*flashback end*

She joined me and leaned on the wall.
"I wasn't good at making friends either. Since I had my sickness kids always made fun of me and stuff..."

*flashback*
*5th grade*
"Ew don't touch her, she'll get you sick!"
"How can she live like that?"
"I bet she has to visit the doctor everyday."
I gripped my pencil and tried to ignore it all.
"Hey Yuki it's okay, there're just trying to get to you." Katsuki reassured me. I have a weak smile...

*flashback end*

"I guess we're both not the most popular." I Joked and she laughed a little.
"Hey Calris?" She said.
"Yeah?"
"Can I tell you something I learned about you."
"What'd you learn shorty?"
"That when your mad at me you call me by my name, but when you're happy or okay, you call my shorty. There's no in between."
"What? I do not, I've called you your name before when I was okay or happy!" I said.
"Okay name one time then." She said crossing her arms.
"Um let's see....."
crap she's right!
"You'd think of one?" She teased.
"Okay I guess you're right." I mumbled.
"I told you and you did it now when you Yelled."
"Hey I didn't mean to yell, I'm just a little-"
"Sensitive?" She said smirking.
"I'm not sensitive!" I said crossing my arms.
"Garrett said you were. And he sounded really sure of it. Plus so far he's stood to be correct" She laughed.
"Hmph."
"Awe don't get grumpy Calris, we've still got 13 more days here!" She laughed. I couldn't help but grin and wrap my arm around her.
"Okay but only if you promise me one thing."
"What is it?" She asked. I moved my face in closer.

"You'll be my setter."

She turned red and smiled.

"Then you're my ace?" She asked.
"I'm not an ace yet, but I can be."
"Well how long will that take?" She smirked.
"I don't know, it shouldn't take long considering I'm already on the starting roster." I grinned.
"Mhm well how about we start by going to practice?" She laughed.
"Okay okay, but you promise?"
"Only after I finish my other promise, just one game then I'll wait for you to be the ace."
I felt a little hurt, but I know she wouldn't leave our promise. I was becoming the ace and that was that.
"Okay." I smiled and we walked back to the gym...