Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The next few minutes were complete pandemonium. There was shrieking, people bumping into each other, and several simultaneous calls to the police. Cullen looked like he'd been punched in the stomach. Sherry competently poured him a drink and pushed it into his hand, although Myrtle was fairly sure that Cullen didn't need anything else to drink that night.  

"I think," Miles's voice rose through the cacophony, "that everyone needs to step outside. Probably all the way to the sidewalk, so the police can pull up in the driveway. We're probably trampling on potential evidence."  

Everyone poured out the door, some more eagerly than others. "I knew," mused Myrtle aloud to Miles, "that supper club would mean disaster." 

"It's been nothing but disaster tonight," agreed Miles. "And it's too bad about Jill." 

Myrtle nodded gloomily. "I know, it's terrible. I liked her. Despite the rummaging around in the medicine cabinet thing." She saw the lights of a police car approaching and felt suddenly very sad. "Such a shame." 

Red's car pulled into Jill and Cullen's driveway and Red stepped out, still buttoning up parts of his uniform. He strode over to his mother. "It's you--the professional body locator. Where is she?" 

"The kitchen," she said.  

Red gave everyone instructions to stay back away from the house and grounds and walked in the front door, dialing on his cell phone as he went.  

"Probably calling in the state police," said Myrtle. "They'll need to have a forensic team here. And I suppose he's going to have to question us." She paused. "You know, Miles, we're probably one of the last ones to see her alive. She was calling Cullen when she suddenly left to go home. Right after her big fight with Willow." 

The police questioning wasn't nearly as interesting as Myrtle had hoped. The state police let many people go home, and the statement she gave was fairly brief, as was everyone's, probably. There hadn't been much to report, after all-Jill had been at Miles's house, talked to a few of the guests, waited for the restroom, made a phone call, fought with Willow, and gone home to check on the food. When the supper club had arrived at Jill's house, she was already dead. Myrtle did notice that Red and his deputy were trying to get an idea where everyone was when the party was taking place.  

Myrtle remembered lots of coming and going during the party. Red and the state police were going to have their hands full.  

Miles waited for Myrtle to finish her statement before walking home with her. Red gave Miles an appreciative wave when he saw them set out. "I guess Red wanted you to deliver me safely back home?" 

"Well, there is a murderer running around, you know." 

"I doubt they'd want to kill me, though. Not yet, anyway." 

Miles gave her a hard look. "You're not putting on your detective hat again, are you? Last time you almost got yourself killed." 

"There are several very good reasons why I want to get involved, Miles. For one, I did like Jill and I'm sorry she's dead. For another-it delights my very soul when I solve mysteries before Red does. Plus, of course, I'm a newspaper reporter. I'm just following the story." 

"You really just write a helpful hints column, Myrtle. You aren't a reporter covering a beat, you know." 

"That's where you're wrong, Miles. Sloan has me writing extra news stories for the new Bradley Bugle blog. Which makes another excellent reason for my getting involved. Let's just say that I am covering the story. What could you add to it? Did you see or hear anything unusual?"