Chapter 2

Performing on-stage gave them a certain kind of high, Matt told me once. It was breathtaking how thousands of people united into one as they sang along. Even for me, its effect was powerful, and I was just standing backstage. I knew what it was like looking up to the people whose music had gotten me out of tight spots and complicated situations. I still feel that way a lot. Matt was my music... he's the only one I've held on to for so long, one of the few constant things in my life right now.

By the end of their set, the stadium went wild. There were shouts begging them to stay and play a few more songs, some were just screaming their heads off. The four boys, however, had to run off quickly since the crew still had to prepare the stage for Simple Plan. Matt was the first to see me waiting backstage, laughing as he ran to hug me. It was brief, but tight. The kind of hug that we could pass off to others as completely friendly. Josh appeared shortly behind him, locking me in a tight embrace and twirling me around once.

“First show of the tour, baby!” he yelled excitedly, setting me back on my feet gently. “We're off to a great start!”

“Are you going to stay back and meet the fans?” I asked once the hype had died down and I could actually be heard.

“Not right now,” he replied, leaning back slightly to look at the stage from behind the black curtains. “We can't while Simple Plan is doing their set, so we'll see how it goes after the show.”

“What did you think?” I jumped slightly when Matt appeared on my right side, drinking half of the water bottle he had in one go.

“Of your performances?” I laughed. “Weeell... There were a few rough spots, but I guess we can fix that.. I hope.”

“Ouch,” Matt said, putting a hand over his chest and pulling on a face of mock hurt. “And I thought that was perfect enough for you. I meant about Josh's... odd fashion choice,” he added, flashing a smile.

I gave Josh a head-to-toe look, searching for the right words to say.

“You have to admit, though,” Mike piped in. “He's pulling them off better than we expected.”

“Not as cool as the zebra tights!” Ian called out, doing mini hip thrusts to emphasize his point.

"She's going to say that she doesn't like them," Josh said, a teasing smile playing on his lips. "'Cause she's jealous of them. Don't worry, I'll let you borrow them after the tour."

"Wait, weren't those red when you showed them to me earlier?"

"Yeah, I still have that one," he said. "This is a different pair, Chrysa. I thought you'd have spotted that.. it was kind of obvious."

I looked at him disbelievingly.

"Come oooon," he said, reaching out to mess up my hair. "You know you want to borrow them. I won't be selfish. As long as you tell them that they're mine. Know what, I'll have my name printed on it."

I tried to hold it in but failed, gripping Matt's arm as I doubled over with laughter. "What makes you think that I'd want to wear a pair of skin-tight pants?"

“You said it yourself, you think they're fucking rad,” he smiled, his eyes twinkling at me. “So I'm giving you the honor of borrowing these godly pair of pants.”

“Wait... Did you say after the tour?”

“Yeah, why? Do you want them now?”

“You're actually planning on wearing these for every show?”

“Hey, I can only come up with so many good outfit ideas. What am I, the wardrobe supervisor?” he looked at me pointedly, smile growing wider.

“You told me you didn't want me doing your outfits for the show!” I said defensively. I took a deep breath to calm myself before turning back to him. “You're wearing that for every show?” I repeated.