The First Meet

After only two weeks of training we had our first meet, there was only the "Schools Group Total Competition". That meant that of the five routines I had to practice and perfect this year, I was doing three.

Sophie, our coach, came to talk to us. We were all ready for the first group routine, the one with five balls. We were all dressed in matching costumes, super sparkly purple and white leotards with short, built-in skirts. We were all wearing the same make-up, purple eye-shadow with white up to brow-bone. We also had purple swirls at the corners of our eyes. Everything was sparkly. We each had a ball, purple ones that shimmered. My stomach was churning. Butterflies transformed into stampeding elephants.

"We are the reining champions at this competition. I expect everyone to perform to the standard we set last year." Sophie said. We all nodded.

Nita tapped me on the shoulder, "Good luck," she said. 

"You too." I replied. I didn't need to wish her good luck, this was what she did. I'd seen her perform a few times and she was truely amazing. 

"Okay everybody, let's start warming up, you are on after these two groups." Sophie said. 

We did as she'd said. Our warm-up room had a barre, so I started warming up and stretching like I did before a ballet performance. "No time for that," said Nita, "We have to be out there in 8 minutes." I joined a few of the other girls, doing cartwheels down a track. 

The anouncer introduced the next group. "Four minutes." Nita whispered to me. I nodded. Swallowing hard, I stretched out my splits and my back. 

Sophie brought us together, "Okay girls, go out there and do what I know you can." She said.

We lined up in the corridor, waiting to come out of it.