Prolouge

Ruby POV

My best friend, Enoch and I where laying in the grass. He has to leave for another loop after a prank gone wrong. We have never been separated, ever. Our parents where friends and we have been best friends since we where toddlers.

"Penny for your thoughts?" Enoch asks.

"I'm gonna miss you. We've never been separated like this, ever. I...I need my best friend. Your my rock otherwise I'll go crazy." I say and start crying.

He pulls me closer and kisses my hair and I can't help but break down. I've been strong for so long and now going to be without him, I don't know what I'll do.

He lifts my chin and wipes my tears. "You'll be alright. We will see one another again. I promise." He says promising.

"Don't forget about me." I say.

"Never." He says.

"Good." I say and fall asleep in his arms the only place I feel truly safe. He is my best friend. I will never care for anyone the way I care for him.

The next morning

"Ruby you need to say goodbye." Miss Owl says.

I wrap my thin arms around him and cry. "We will see one another again, right?" I say through my tears

"I promise someday, somehow we will see each other again." Enoch promises.  I look up at him to see tears falling down his pale cheeks.

"I'll miss you so much." I say.

"And I will miss you too." He says

"Time to go Enoch. We don't want to be late." The yembrane at the door tells Enoch.

With one last shaky breath we break our hug and he walks off to the cart that will take him away to a new loop.

"Be safe." I say and he is gone.

A few years have passed and I miss him. I miss our laughs, his hugs, his smell. I just miss him more than anything. I hope he remembers me because I'm going to the loop he is at.

I'll see him again. I think, I have too.