Chapter 6

⸎Your Courage⸎

Little Robbie's house burned down. Late at night. That night happened to be the day of our first date. We were walking back to my home when we saw it. We smelt it first. The smell of burning wood and too thick ash.

Then we saw it. Wisps of silver grey smoke curled and danced their way through the thick, hazy air as if excited to escape the gentle pull of the chimney. Tendrils of smoke swirled up into our lungs as we breathed in deeply, just to make sure it was real,  and burned invisible holes of foreshadowed diseases. 

Flames rose into the night sky as people gathered and watched while Little Robbie's father tried fighting back tears because his son was still in the building that was burning down. The firefighters had told him to hope for the best, for it was too late to rush into the burning building to try and save him.

We stood there together watching the bright red flames dance in the sky. I watch the sky and make a comment but don't hear a response. I look to my left, where you were standing, only to see that you were not beside me. And that's when I knew exactly what you had done. I shove my way to the front of the crowd afraid of what could have happened. Praying for someone to stop me but wanting to know if  everything was okay. Firefighters were yelling at each other to put the fire out and then I see you. I yell out for everyone to look and they see Little Robbie unconscious in your arms and you coughing. You and Robbie were rushed to the hospital. You both were alright though. You saved Little Robbie's life.

   Even after the fire had long been extinguished the smoky smell would linger on the fabric of clothes, and in the air for days; it hung on the air ready to greet whomever came close to the remains of the house that once was the nicest house on the street.