So, She's Gone?

Lapis left. Just like that.

What?

Not only did she fly away to some distant planet: She took the barn with her. The whole bloody thing. Uprooted. Carried away in a giant water sphere.

What?

She turned her back to Peridot, refusing her suggestion. Stay on Earth? How silly the green gem was to think that would've worked. How stupid. Idiotic.

Sigh.

Peridot couldn't tear her eyes away. Her pupils were fixated on the peach pink sky. Specifically on the point she had watched the blue gem's silhouette fly away, shrinking until she was no longer visible. Maybe Lapis would think twice and turn around. Maybe Peridot was imagining the whole ordeal. Or just maybe if she stared hard enough, she could draw her back.

She would've happily stayed there all day in the field.

Watching. Waiting.

Steven, however, was there with her. After witnessing the sudden departure, he knew better than to leave her staring at the sky. He offered support by placing a hand on her back as he suggested going back with him. So, with Pumpkin in arms, Peridot made her way back to the temple with Steven.

Yes. That would've been a senseless idea. Standing in an empty field, staring up at the sky. There was no point. Lapis wasn't coming back.

Owch.

Steven's bathroom. Her old room. How nostalgic.

Though it was a small room, it was substantial enough for a small gem and her pumpkin. The red shower curtain still hung from the rail, embellished with yellow stars and planets. It was good to see the damage Peridot had previously caused was rectified. The cream tiled floors were immaculately polished: Peridot would have to watch her step. Slipping on the tiles did not cross her now busy mind, however. There were also many small objects in the bathroom that Peridot now recognised as harmless human products and tools.

It hadn't changed. She had. A lot.

Back then, she knew little about Earth. It was just some failed gem colony, complete with a ticking time bomb of destruction inside.

How wrong she was.

Steven had provided her with a puffy blanket, which he had draped in the bathtub. This would be her new bed. Not that she needed a bed, as sleep was unnecessary for gems. Instead, it was somewhere comfortable for her to relax and rest when she wanted.

She laid back in the bathtub, looking unfocused at the wood panelling that formed the ceiling. It acted as a clean canvas for her to display the images that began to fill her mind.

Miles of corn.

Why was that the first image that came to mind? She didn't know, but she went with it. That was fun. She got to ride around on a tractor, a human device used for farming. It was not much different from being a kindergartener. That was essentially farming, although they didn't get the colony of corn they wanted. In fact, they ended up with something better: A cheerful, round pet pumpkin.

Pumpkin lay curled up on the bathmat. How cute she was.

In a way, she was back to where she started. Life before the barn. Before Lapis. Why did that feel so peculiar? Hundreds of years she'd lived without either. She had never needed them. Her life was just fine.

...

Why did she have to fly off like that? With the barn? Without her?

Yes, she wanted to stay on Earth. Well, she wanted the both of them to stay on Earth. Together. Yet, she wanted more for Lapis to be happy. If that meant flying off to some distant lonely star to share eternity together... Well it would be worth it. For her.

Lapis had been through a lot. Peridot knew that. Perhaps too well, as she often ignored her own emotions in favour of Lapis'. She was unaware of how much of a problem that would become. If she focused on helping her friend she might get better. Lapis needed a stable environment. Somewhere without change. A distant, quiet planet could have aided her healing.

Come to think of it, if she hadn't flown off so swiftly, the green gem would've accepted Lapis' choice and gone with her. Then she wouldn't be laying around all day moping. She'd still have her morps, the Camp Pining Hearts box set, and Lapis.

No, no. There's no use thinking about that. Maybe this is for the best.

Maybe it's best she left. She can have the peace and stability she needs whilst Peridot can stay and experience Earth. Fight for it, if necessary.

Earth was beautiful. It had only taken a few weeks for Peridot to fall under this planets charm. It was full of life, full of colour. Unlike the kindergartens she previously resided in: Drained of life, drained of colour. Wow. She was lucky to be in such an amazing place.

Then why didn't she feel happy about it?

Her mind was clouded with thoughts. Replaying the scene causing her distress, as if she may find some answer amongst the events.

Peridot had offered her hand. Surely her meaningful words would get through to Lapis. She could stay on Earth. They could stay together.

But, no.

What a fool she was.

Her tablet would become a useful device for her. Really, it was just a distraction from the bad thoughts. She tried to remember when she first fell in love with Earth. Steven's song had really spoken to her. Music, yes. That was something to marvel. So, that's what she searched for on her tablet. A whole world of music was out there. Different singers, different instruments, different genres. Country music was a genre she was particularly fond of. It brought memories of the barn. Perhaps it wasn't a good idea to induce thoughts about the barn, but for that exact reason it made her want to hear it more. As if the music said the words she had in her head for her. In a way, it made her feel less alone. One playlist she'd play on repeat for hours.

Hours grew into days. Days soon formed weeks. All this time, Peridot carried a pit in her stomach. It was as if she'd swallowed a brick, enough to weigh her down and make each step just that little bit harder. At first, she refused to move because of it. After she finally had, though, things got better.

Over time, it was as if a small person inside of her was chipping away at it, fragment by fragment. It became lighter, more manageable. Recovery appeared realistic.

It began with a trip to the Prime kindergarten.