10 / please come home for christmas

The temperature lifted as the night wore on, rising above zero after a couple of freezing days. The sun's weak rays strengthened, bright light dancing over the melting ice that dripped from the branches, and the gentle warmth skated across the forest floor. The ground was still frozen solid but the worst of the snow had disappeared overnight, the tall drifts leaving soaked trunks as they sank.

The curtains were wide open. A white cloud swept across the sky and when it moved on, it exposed the light that filled the bedroom, highlighting every speck of dust that floated through the air, yet Tala only saw darkness when she opened her eyes. For a couple of seconds, she was completely disorientated until she registered Raphael's body beneath her arm: her face was pressed against the back of his neck, his hair tickling her forehead.

He was warm and firm, his body a pillow that she hugged close, her knees pulled up behind his. At some point in the night, cuddling had turned to sleepy snuggling, and that had become spooning. Somehow, Tala had ended up as the big spoon, one arm around Raphael and the other tucked under her head. Usually she liked space when she slept, but she hadn't felt the urge to roll away.

His heart was a steady beat beneath her palm, his chest rising and falling as he slept, and Tala closed her eyes to relish in the sleepy Sunday morning.

Judging by the height of the sun, the morning was drifting away on their dreams. As the light rose, Tala reluctantly shifted away from Raphael, careful not to disturb him when she moved her arm, and she squinted at her phone's screen.

It was after ten already, creeping close to eleven, and there was a missed call from a number she didn't recognise, until she read a text from the same number that had landed in her inbox an hour ago.

UNKNOWN NUMBER: raffy . . . i hope things are well! the snow's melting so you should be able to get out today. roads are ploughed + gritted too. looking forward to seeing you and your 'friend' ... hahaha. taking march to the big town but we'll be back by noon. cant wait to see you. march is missing his daddy! love you loads xoxox mum

The text made Tala smile, though she felt like a voyeur for having read it, even though it was on her phone. She returned to her inbox and found several messages from Maddie piling up, demanding to know what was going on and how the weekend was going. As she scrolled through the messages, her smile grew with the image of Maddie's enthusiasm, until she came across a text from her mother and her heart squeezed.

NANAY: what are you doing tala?? alon says you went to Scotland ... where are you? are you home for Christmas? tatay and i are worried about you. call me.

The text had come late last night. Tala's mother was a night owl and an early bird, making the most of every day: she routinely went to bed at two in the morning and got up each day at six. The thought of her schedule exhausted Tala, who hated to get up before eight, even when she had to be at work by half past.