Chapter 5

*Nate's POV; Present*

"Annabel... This is certainly a surprise..."

"Nate..."

"Uhh.. Am I missing something here?" Penny asked abruptly

I looked at the girl that had crushed my heart years ago and the girl that has my heart right now, not getting over how fucking awkward this whole situation was. What do you say to the person you once loved but found someone that only partially made you forget?

"Okay well um, great seeing you but I have to um go... yeah so bye"

Annabel said in a rush to the door, quickly shutting the door behind her. I turned back around and saw my girlfriend giving me that "you better fucking tell me what's happening" look, one eyebrow raised and everything. I've avoided this day since I met Penny, I don't want her thinking that I still have feelings for her or that Annabel was the first person I could say I genuinely loved.

"Nate, what's going on? Who was that?"

"She's just an old friend.."

"She didn't have that friend vibe, who is she?"

"Just someone I have some history with"

"What kind of history?"

"Not important."

"Not important my ass, I saw how both of you looked at each other. Who is she?"

"Why are you breathing down my fucking neck about this?! If I say she's no one, I mean it"

"It's a fucking simple question, you're turning this into something else and that's why I'm getting pissed off!"

I took a deep breathe and mentally summarized all that crap that happened into a short paragraph, being sure not to forget any important details and not to say something wrong. But in the end, I just decided to not tell her.

"I used to like her, and I told her and I don't know, things got kind of awkward and here we are, that's all, I swear."

"And that's it? I'll admit, she's really pretty. You didn't try anything? Because I know you."

"No, after she rejected me, I just moved on."

"You better not be lying to me. You know how I feel about that."

"I'm not lying, I promise, please can we just enjoy the reset of our night?"

"Whatever, you're just lucky you're a great cuddler"

I gave her a smirk with the small nod of the head. I had been saving something for just the right moment, and I think that that time is now. I pecked her cheek as I walked behind her and bent over my bag, I ruffled through the empty bags of chips, trying to find the thing that I protected other than Penelope.

"Nate, what are you looking for?" She said slightly laughing

"This."

I pulled out a piece of paper with multiple drawing taking up its space, crumbled and torn at the corners, but it stayed somewhat intact. I handed Penny the paper as she was first confused, I smiled because it's cute when she doesn't know exactly what's going on.

"It's a collage of every moment that happened when we were together, see here's the day you first texted me." I said as I pointed to the picture of a cell phone. "And here, when I first asked you out and you laughed in my face because you thought I was kidding." I said as I pointed to the picture of me holding roses and her laughing. "And here, when we slept together and my brother walked in." You can pretty much tell what the picture was. "And here, when we went to the winter formal together and my tuxedo shirt matched your dress unexpectedly and you loved it" I looked over at her for a second, examining the collage by herself with a big grin across her face. "And here's when-"