Chapter 7

7

When I woke up, it was a Tuesday. A little over a week had passed since the incident with Ray. The main public refused to speak to me and often ignored my existence if they weren’t being downright rude. Naomi still talked to me, but we didn’t go places together as much. I know she was probably hurting a bit from being alienated alongside me. I’d started to hang out with Haelie even more, though. She didn’t seem to have even the tiniest problem with being alienated from the rest of the crowd. She seemed to be very used to the alienation and must not have been a part of the “in” crowd at her old school.

I got up out of my bed and made my way to my dresser. I grabbed a purple Gir tee and a simple pair of jeans; I threw on a pair of socks and pulled on my tennis shoes. I brushed my hair back and loosely braided it before I put on just a little eyeliner and lip gloss. Checking over myself one last time, I grabbed my bag, stuffing my binder in it.

I walked out to the bus stop after locking the door behind me. Haelie was waiting for me as she usually does. She beamed a big smile at me and waved me over. “Hey,” she said. “You look nice this morning!”

“Thanks.” I looked over her and saw she was wearing a grey tank top under a blue plaid button up with a pair of ripped jeans. She seemed to be chewing on her lip ring in a nervous manner when she noticed I was looking at her. Her hair looked really shiny this morning. “You look cute, too, Haelie.”

“Thanks, Val.” She stopped chewing on the lip ring and sounded pretty chipper. I realized I hadn’t actually complimented her yet.

The bus came and we got on.

I forgot what happened at school today, but it definitely wasn’t all that important.

Haelie walked home with me again. The sky was gray and kind of dreary, like it was ready to rain at any second. “Would you like to come in?” I asked. “You haven’t stayed over at all, and I think I would be really fun. You can call your mom and ask and all that.”

We were stopped in front of the door, and she paused for a second to think about it before grinning at me. “Sure! Staying the night actually sounds pretty fun. I’d love to stay with you, Val.”

“Awesome.”

She took out her phone and called her mom. They talked for just a little bit before Haelie ended the call and turned to me. “She said it was fine. I just have to go get a set of clothes and all real quick. Do you want to come with me? You can meet my mom while we’re at it.”

“Sounds cool. Hold on.” I opened the door. “Mom?”

“Yeah, honey?” My mom responded.

“I’m going to Haelie’s real quick. Is it alright if she stays the night here?”

“Sure!”

“Thanks, Mom!”

I closed the door and started walking with Haelie. She grabbed my hand and smiled at me. “I think my mom’s gonna like you. She’s all over me going to a big college, but my grades aren’t the best out there. She’ll probably think you’re a great influence on me, since, you know, you have nearly flawless grades.” She laughed wholly.

“My grades aren’t perfect!” I poked her in the side with our hands. “Besides, if anything, you’re the better influence than I am.”

“If you say so.”

We kept walking, making random small talk. She asked me a couple of questions about the projects due by Friday. It was all pretty normal. I missed hanging out with Naomi, but only a little bit. Haelie was filling that void speedily.