Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

EP 04. CURIOUSER AND CURIOUSER

THERE were a lot of things going on in my head as the butler-guard man trudged on, toward the castle and a hefty amount of police vehicles surrounding it.

Mostly things I wanted to ask Leon.

Why am I here? For one, seemed a very reasonable one to start with. Why are the police here? What am I doing? Since when have you been living at the castle I've been dreaming and scaring myself with since I was a child?

Who are you?

And again, as if on point to the current situation, and mumbled along the lines to myself, What the bleeding hell am I doing?

Plagued by these questions, I had no choice but to walk silently behind the butler-guard man and his pristine tailcoat and pleasant sounds of his shoes crunching gravel. We headed toward the answers for the mess... or so I hope. It might just be certain shock. The only thing that kept me walking was shock itself, honestly. It was quite a long road from the gate to the manor, and the dizzying amount of swaying trees did nothing to help my anxiety.

Even I knew the gate had been a new addition to the property. Quarter of mile it was from the castle itself. And with trees amidst it like a battalion, using it as a curtained ward against certain onlookers, you really didn't notice the patrols until maybe you crane your head a bit.

And when you're suddenly watched by them too.

Few officers lingering outside with their patrols gave us not too subtle, lingering looks once we reached their vicinity and passed them. Most of them particularly eyed the guard I was with; a kind of mild interest, bordering curious wary.

But when their gazes pass my neck, it was curiosity, I gather.

It was only when an officer with a distinct attitude pressed into his face, moved to stand between the butler-guard man and the wide-open entrance of Castle Morning Star, that I heard someone inhale.

"Sorry, but who are you?"

This, with pressing, beady brown eyes, was meant for me.

Honestly, the last thing that I could ever thought happening to me when I figured out the puzzle was facing law enforcement, because even I was asking who the hell I was for being here. But even the sudden attack was a surprise, so I stumbled a "Pardon?"

He didn't like being repeated, or possibly dealing with an inept girl, because a tentative, impatient scowl was already in place, eyes narrowing, when he spoke again. In a voice a lot firmer and more authoritative.

On the other cheek of this line of inquiry, I was having a mild panic attack.

"If you're one of the staff, you should be inside for an interview."

Sensing it was a fine time for him to be knight and save me, the guard spoke in the same monotonous voice he spoke with me. "Miss Wendy is the young master's guest. She is not part of the household staff, and therefore is not needed to be subjected to an impossibly useless interview. Her only line of communication is a direct one with the young master, which I now intend to follow through, as was my order of receiving her."

I blinked. Even the police officer did too. Well, now. I feel like a peasant due to meet royalty. Then took a deep breath. Oh, honestly Wendy Cain, what are you doing here?

"This is a murder scene, mister -"

"- Connolly."

"- Mr. Connolly. Young Master Song cannot have guests as of the current."

Though I felt secondhand offense for Mr. Connolly at having been talked to like a child by a guy much younger than he is, full of pretense and cockiness, my ears were positively ringing at murder.

Good god, Wendy, murder, what have you gotten yourself into this time? But my mouth was twitching, and a certain air of excitement was growing.

"I appreciate the reminder about the state of the manor and of the delicate situations, Officer... Pritchard even when I had never left my post at the estate at all since the inquiry has started. Though I assure you, even in my old age, I have yet to forget about the body in the library-" My heart leapt to my throat. "- but Miss Wendy has secluded an appointment with the young master long before the dead body started to rot. Thus, duly appreciate-"

The officer interrupted him with a cocky smile. "- Yes, but you would also appreciate the -"

An exclaimed voice cancelled out the officer's no doubt degrading speech, and all heads were swept by the long brown overcoat and dazzling smile, and my heart firmly planted itself in my throat.

"I appreciate the work you put into this great country of ours, Officer, but I would be many ways like for you to stop there." Leon smiled. But it was a different one; an emotionless gaze with a sharp threat to it that I felt a sudden relief I was not on the receiving end.

"Though Mr. Connolly and I have only known each other for the betterment of the five months or so, I have read his valuable credentials. A substantial question to ask yourself before you piss off people is to inquire of the foothold they stand on. In Mr. Connolly's case, you can simply wonder by this vast and enriched estate only has one solidly built, though old - many apologies, Connolly - guard? I can leave you to your own deductions, sir, assuredly, but if you would prefer the formal resume, I'd be more than happy to obtain a copy for you, before I'd care for you to run your mouth in a direction you will sorely regret."

He finished his flourishing, coat-sweeping threat with another pointed smile. He himself, Leon 'young master' apparent Song, hardly looked a threat as he came down the short stairs with an air of casual swagger.

But even Mr. Connolly hardly looked a threat yet, I took his unread credentials to heart. Something about the way the man's face was as calm as an untouched river in a forgotten part of the world said numbers.

Before the officer could utter a word, his face peaked red, a deeper, far more booming voice without actually hitching a pitch spoke; coming out of the entrance again with thunderous footsteps, though his gait was casual and normal.

"You can shut your trap now, Officer. Engaging in a battle of tongues against civilians is hardly a sound thing to do. Let the lady go."

His eyes widened, ready to refute, but then he swallowed. "Yes, sir!"

I couldn't blame him exactly. The new intruder was a swallowed form of a man greatly built like a Late Middle Ages rulers, with the obvious distinction by the sudden disperse of the crowd that had gathered to stare. From him, I held a solid foot though my whole body tensed to take a few steps back.

Leon glanced at me; smiling a better charming smile he had reserved back at the shop, touched with something I could tell was relief. And though I was out of my wits, I smiled shakily back.

Mr. Connolly held a deep bow and flung a perfunctory hand my way. "Miss Wendy to see you, young master."

Leon inclined his head, his easy smile so ready and permanent. "Thank you for protecting her well, Mr. Connolly. She's a very important guest." Then he turned to the bigger and far more authoritative figure without missing a beat. "We'll be inside shortly, Commissioner Healy."

The man merely acquiesce a nod and headed back inside, not sparing any of us, or bullied Officer Pritchard, another glance. Beside me, Leon's eyes glimmered with a joke I wasn't sure I understood.

"What is it?"

"You've finally arrived."

Finally. Not 'I'm surprised you figured it out'.

"How are you so sure I'd figure out your little puzzle?" I breathed back. "Or even choose to come?"

"A quote actually."

"Another Peter Pan?"

He tilted his head. His smile was still in place, but his eyes shifted. A sadness, I realised.

"Lewis Caroll actually. Curiouser and curiouser."

My heart jumped. He smiled his sad smile again. "And also because you are smart and attentive and I am a desperate fool. Will you help me, Miss Wendy?"