Part 12

The small part of me that wished Andrew would show was going crazy at the sight of him. While the other part of me that was still angry with him and was furious that he was actually here.

I finished taking my shoe off and stood to face him.

"What are you doing here?" I asked bluntly.

"I'm here for the dance, of course." He shrugged.

I rolled my eyes putting both shoes in my right hand, "Why? It’s a school function and I doubt you’re going to any of the schools around here, if you’re even going to school at all."

"Well," he started "I got invited by a friend; I must say, now, I’m glad I came." He shoved his hands into his pockets and flashed me a perfect grin.

 I bet he practiced that in a mirror, I thought staring him down.

He took a step towards me and I automatically took a step back. Even though we were about twenty feet apart from each other, I did not feel like having him come any closer. Partly because I didn’t know what I would do with myself if he did come closer and partly because, I was still upset.

"You know, you look really familiar. I've been trying to figure it out, but I just can't seem to remember. I know where you work and where you go to school, but I don’t know your name. How weird is that?"

"Weird."  I stood there glaring at him.

"So what is it?" He asked. "Your name?"

I shrugged "It doesn’t matter."

"Why not?" He looked confused. "I'm pretty sure your name is an important thing."

I sighed and raked a hand through my hair in frustration. "Well, apparently not to you."

"Uh... What?" He asked now extremely confused.

"Nothing." I shook my head.

"Hey, Mel-"

Both Andrew’s head and mine swiveled to see Mariah coming out of the kitchen door, her eyes grew wide as she stood there watching us.

After more than enough time of awkward silence, she came over to my side "Is that-? Are you-?" She stammered.

The cocky smile spread over his face once again as he looked at her. "Andrew Miller."

"Oh my gosh! I knew it!" Mariah beamed. "Hi, I'm Mariah!"

"Nice to meet you." He continued to grin at her, and then turned his gaze to me, "See, that wasn't so hard. On our first meeting she told me her name, I've seen you several times.”

Again I rolled my eyes and Mariah started to look at me. "You've met him before?" she whispered loudly.

 Andrew took this opportunity and stepped forward a little. "Yeah, a few times now and I still don't know her name. Maybe you could help?"

Mariah looked from him to me then back at him again. "Uh... Her name is Mel-"

"Don't!" I grabbed a hold of her arm, "Say it."

"Why not?" It was her turn to look confused.

"Just don't."

"So what? Is it Melissa?" Andrew butted in.

"No. Don't worry about it. It obviously doesn't matter."

"Uh... Melanie?" he kept on.

"What's your deal? Just tell him!" Mariah pushed.

"No!" I half yelled.

"Uh... Madeline?" he offered.

I glared at him, my mouth closed, Mariah's slightly glazed eyes taking him in.                          

"Hmm..." he put on a deep thinking face, his hand on his forehead as if in deep thought, "Megan?"

"Oh gosh, those didn't even start with Mel!" I exclaimed.

He shrugged and went back into his thoughtful pose, "Uh... Did I say Melanie already?"

I turned and pulled on Mariah's arm as I started walking towards the kitchen, “Just forget it!" I hollered behind me, Mariah's head still turned trying to get another look at him.

"Melancholy?" He questioned.

"Does 'forget it' mean anything to you?" I asked over my shoulder, still trying to get the stiff limbed Mariah to follow me.

"No, it sure doesn't." He said still in 'thinking pose' "Uh, how about Mel-"

"My gosh! Andy! Just drop it!" I screamed spinning around to face him.

His eyes slowly grew wide as my words hit his ears and I felt mine go wide, as well, as the realization of my words registered in my head. I could see Mariah looking back and forth between us out the corner of my eyes.

"What..." Andrew took a step forward, his arm coming up in front of him, pointing at me, "What did you just call me?"

I tightened my grip on Mariah's arm and started tugging her behind me as I practically ran to the kitchen. I heard him whisper the name again as I pushed through the revolving doors, going into the kitchen, leaving him looking dumbfounded and perplexed behind me.