Wi-Fi (17)

Song of the chapter: All Over by Tiwa Savage.

...

"Wow. Your life can be a soap opera honestly." Mfon giggled, popping chin chin into her mouth.

"Yep." He nodded. He had just told her about his encounter with Olamide at the restaurant over a bowl of chin chin and groundnuts. "Keeping up with Tade and Co."

"Who is the 'and Co'? You're not serious." She rolled her eyes, slapping the back of his head and ignoring his protests. "I like how you insulted her jare. Don't let her get to you, before you know it, she'll be rotting in jail." She added.

"I can't wait. You know, I just realised something; are you and Michael even planning for your wedding?" Tade asked, slapping her hand and taking the last one.

"You know there's more in the kitchen right? But since you hit me, nothing for you." She stuck her tongue at him and stood up, going to the kitchen. "We'll start planning after your court hearing." She said as she walked back into the sitting room, keeping the bowl out of his reach.

"Oh, the court hearing, next week shay?" He asked and she nodded. "Give me chin chin na. There's love in sharing." He whined.

"Who said I love you?" She rolled her eyes, finally giving in to his pout and reluctantly passing him the bowl.

"Now, about the court hearing." He said with food in his mouth, and she wrinkled her nose. "Won't it take time? All these Nigerian judiciary sluggishness."

"I thought of that, that's why I put your case in the court express program, and asked for the most honest judge I know- you don't get a lot of them nowadays. So we send all the evidence for review two weeks before, plus that document you gave me about your project that their stealing. Then when we meet at court, lawyers make their case, witnesses testify, and the judge makes his pronouncement; hopefully to our favour." She explained and he nodded.

"Hopefully." He muttered and they fell into silence.

"Have you called Amenze?" Mfon suddenly asked out of the blue and his head snapped up to look at her.

"Nope." He shook his head, avoiding her gaze.

"You know, you need to hear her side of what happened. You never know what might have happened." She said softly. "I don't want her to reject me, and not so subtly this time." He replied.

"There's nothing wrong with rejection once in a while. Keeps us strong." She squeezed his shoulder.

"Like when Mide kept you strong?" He teased with a smirk and she laughed. "One day, I'm going to bump into him with Michael beside me and I'll be like, 'who's short now?'" She said.

"It's still you." He replied, narrowing his eyes at her. "Shut up. You're my friend, better support me." She said and he laughed.

"Yes ma."

...

Tade's finger hovered over the dial button, as he wondered whether to call Amenze or not. He was laying on his bed, his phone in his hand and his laptop open beside him. Shaking his head, he decided to send her a message instead.

Then his phone started to ring. Clearing his throat, he answered the call.

"Amenze, hey." He said, feigning nonchalance.

"Tade! Long time! Are you angry with me? You didn't call since that day." Her lively voice chirped over the phone.

She was asking if he was angry? She hung up on him!

"I didn't mean to hang up on you, the Wi-Fi expired at that time, I just renewed our subscription now." She added.

"Wow. All these time I thought I chased you away, not knowing it's just Wi-Fi that separated us!" He burst out laughing. "Guess our relationship is dependent on Wi-Fi."