Chapter IV

Saturday. Derek is supposed to come pick me up in his blue mustang and take me out of the city to eat on a ferry boat. I called Lexie to come help me pick something out to wear.

"Okay, okay. So what about your black flowy button up blouse and jean shorts with grey converse?" Lexie suggests.

"Well, Derek's favorite color is dark blue though." I say.

"Well you already have your blue cast." Lexie says.

"Maybe I should just put on a t shirt and athletic shorts." I say, frustrated.

"Mark told me that Derek loves your coral ruffled shirt." Lexie tells me, going to my closet to find the shirt. She moves some things around and finds the shirt. "Here." She says, handing it to me. I put it on and look in the mirror. This was the shirt I wore when we won the science fair. I look up at the shelf in my wall holding the trophy I got for winning. Derek got the same one. I look back at myself in the mirror.

"This is nice. Should I just wear jean shorts?" I ask.

"Yes, the rolled up ones. And your dark grey converse." Lexie says, picking them up off the floor. "Well, your right converse." She giggles, looking at my left foot in the cast.

"Thank you for helping me, Lexie." I say, as I adjust my hair in the mirror. Lexie comes up behind me.

"No problem, Mer." She says, putting her hands on my shoulders bending down and looking at me in the mirror. "But Mark also said Derek loves your hair when you braid the front part and pin it back." She takes my hair and starts Dutch braiding the front to pin it back.

"You and Mark talk about Derek and I?" I ask.

"Yea. Mark, I think likes me. And I like him. But he's a senior. Like any senior would go out with someone who's supposed to be an eighth grader."

"Maybe not now, but when you guys are in your twenties, it won't seem like such a big age gap." I say as she works braiding my hair.

"I really like him, Mer."

"I can tell. But how do you guys talk at school?" I ask.

"I tutor him after school in AP psychology."

"Lexie, you do know Mark Sloan is third in the senior class, only behind Derek and Addison."

"Wait, so he doesn't need tutoring?" Lexie asks looking hurt.

"Lexie. Mark has a 4.7 GPA. The fact that he asked you to tutor him, means he likes you." I say.

"I like him. I wanna marry Mark." Lexie says. She pins back the braid on the side and smiles. We hear a knock on the door. Lexie walks over to the window and tells me that Derek is here. She helps me go downstairs, and we answer the door. There's Derek Shepherd standing there in dark jeans, a black shirt under his letterman jacket. He has a bouquet of red roses in his hand and he gives his famous McDreamy smile.

"Hello, Meredith. Hey, Lexie."

"Hi, Derek." Lexie and I say together.

"Mer, are you ready?" Derek asks.

"I think so." I smile.

"These are for you." He says, handing me the roses. I smell them and they smell nice.

"Thank you." I say, gratefully.

"I'll go put them in a vase. And then my dad should be here to pick me up in a few. I'll lock the door on my way out." Lexie says taking the flowers, heading towards the kitchen. "You two have fun. But not too much fun!" She exclaims. Derek and I laugh. Derek helps me down the stairs and opens the car door for me. He takes my crutches and puts them in the back. Derek walks around to the drivers side and gets in.