The Escape

Prologue

Walking through those halls, was so easy before I saw her. Half of my soul blazed in hate, and half of it blazed with absolute endearing obsession. Her skin was like a cup of coffee. The little freckles on her face were like sprinkled spice. Those eyes, those hazel eyes that could erase my rage. I was in love with my worst enemy.

Amare:

The soft breeze coming from my bay window brushed a curl in my eye. I sat up to the lingering stars that stirred my spirit in all kinds of ways I could never say out loud. My feet soon swung to meet the floor. When I went to the mirror looking at my sleep coated face they started to speak. "You should wear your hair up today and go for a rocker chic" "No she should just wear it up in a bun so she doesn't have to worry about it getting in the way of her work." I rolled my eyes. "Guys, shut up, I'm just going to wear it down." The voices that reside under my hair silenced. I went in the bathroom and washed my face. The cool water made me paranoid.

"What if you see him?" I couldn't breathe anymore, my stomach twisted and turned.

"So what if I see him, Chanel?"

"He will try to talk to you, and you'll panic."

"No! No I won't! Plus Faraji will be there." A knock at the door.

"Honey are you okay?" My mom.

"Yeah mom, I'm okay." The door handle creaked and opened.

"Baby, why are you letting them upset you again?" I looked up at her and she wiped black tear off of my face.

"It's Chanel, Mama. She's panicking over stupid stuff." I touched her hand to reassure her.

"Chanel, please stop upsetting my daughter. She has school." A muscle in my neck started twitching.

"Okay. I'm sorry, it won't happen again." I rolled my eyes as Chanel's high voice came from my throat. My mom patted my cheek and closed the door.

I continued to brush my teeth in silence. When I finished in the bathroom, I went in my room and turned on music. Kendrick Lamar, was my favorite artist, and he always had something encouraging to say.

I danced over to my closet and opened it. It was a struggle to wear something expressive without getting in trouble with my teachers. I ended up choosing an oversized Bob Marley sweatshirt and my black skinny jeans. As I was pulling on my boots, my brother came in.

"Hey, Kid. That Faraji kid is here." I immediately threw my computer and charger inside my bag and ran past him. Seeing my best friend, Faraji, was the highlight of my day.

"Hi Tiny, you ready for school?" I hugged his huge frame.

"Duh, lets roll." We went and got into his small black car.

Apollo:

"Apollo give it back!" Mara squeals in my ear.

"No, because you wanted to hit me with it." I hold her little blonde doll just above her.

"Please brother please! I'm very sorry I promise!" She pleads at me her eyes pooling with tears. I roll my eyes and drop it on her. As I walk away the rage fades away back to nothingness.

I make my way up the stairs and her face pops in my head. Her sweet, round, beautiful face. Those eyes that make me love and hate her at the same time. The first time I saw her, I found myself feeling joyful, then embarrassed. I had never felt that way before. My face began to feel hot, and when I realized the smile on my face I became angry again. Warm liquid ran down my fist, and when I lifted it, I saw the crimson blood spilling from the nail marks in my palm.