Nightmare

Roxi was finally able to break off from the group 2 miles down the road. A few of the others had protested, Aaron leading them strong and firm. In the end, Rick agreed to let her go- on the condition that she stay close.

"If- No, when we're ready to fight, we'll need you there. Your knowledge Roxi... We're going to need it. Take some time, but keep close. We'll find you when we're ready."

"Grapette..." Aaron was disappointed, he'd told Eric he'd try his hardest to bring Roxi home.

"Just tell Eric I'll see him soon. I'll see you all soon. I just need to lay low for now." She wrapped him in a hug.

She agreed with Rick and walked off into the woods with a final wave to everyone. She barely knew them and yet, she had come to care for these people. Especially Daryl. And she felt about Aaron and Eric as she had for Lucille. Were they now her brothers by circumstance, just as Rick and Daryl seemed to be? Were they all her family now? She'd tried and failed so hard to close off her heart from others since the loss of her twin...

She stayed closer to the Kingdom without realizing it, just walking at random through the woods. When the trees began to thin out as though reaching the edge, or a clearing, she pivoted on her feet and went in another direction. Walkers weren't prominent here, but she did take out a few lone ones.

As night began to fall, Roxi worried about where she'd sleep when she came upon a camper, hidden well within the trees and shrubbery. She drew her gun and knocked on the door. When no one answered, she considered going inside. Finally deciding against it, she walked around the side to where a ladder led up to the roof. Knowing it'd be better than sleeping out in the open, she quietly climbed up. If anyone was living inside the camper, she couldn't risk being heard.

The final rays of sunlight had disappeared and she settled herself over a bed of moss. It had been a long day. She'd seen two people she hadn't thought of since the start of the apocalypse. She'd seen a live tiger. And, she had knowingly kissed Daryl, and in front of people! She smiled at the memory. She liked this man, and felt it was safe to think he liked her back. In a way, she had her father to thank. He had set all of this in motion.

Roxi drifted off to sleep at the memory of his lips on hers, and how it made her feel. She thought she'd never experience butterflies in her stomach ever again.

"Roxi!" Lucille yelled.

"Over here!" Roxi ran toward her sister. Everywhere they looked, people seemed distorted, their faces peeling and eyes a milky white. Their limbs were moving in jerky, sudden motions and their teeth snapped open and shut as they tried to grab at them.

"Where are Mara and Denae?" Roxi asked as the two began running down the boardwalk, dodging the disfigured people.

"I don't know!" Lucille wailed through her tears. Her voice had rose a few octaves and she was on the verge of a full panic. "Roxi, what is happening!"

"RUN!" Roxi pushed her twin in front of her as a crowd came around a corner on their left. They were almost at the end of the boardwalk where the parking lot was. As long as they made it to their car, they could get home.

The grotesque creatures were gaining on them and Lucille began to whimper in fear. Roxi was every bit as terrified, but she masked it well in an attempt to soothe her sister. Finally, they reached the SUV they'd rented for their trip and piled in through the trunk, closing it just as something grabbed hold of Lucille's leg. Roxi slammed it down hard and the arm was left sitting between the two girls, flapping uselessly before the fingers went limp.

"What is happening?" Lucille repeated as they climbed into the front two seats. She took the drivers side while Roxi took the passenger seat. "What are those things?"