Lullabies

Melody woke up in a cold sweat. She lifted up the sheets and scrambled out of bed. 

" DADDY " she screamed only half aware of her senses.

" DADDY HES BACK "!!!!!!

Nearly 3 seconds later was her mother standing and gawking in the doorway of her daughters room. Melody ran into her mothers arms and wept. 

" he's not really gone right " she said looking hopefully into her mothers eyes.

A steady slow tear began to trickle down her mothers face and down onto her lips. The taste of salt soon appeared on the tip of her tounge.

Her mother stroked her daughters tangled Burnett locks and wiped the tear from her cheek. Her mother then attempted to lead the half awake girl back into her bed.

Melody took a few deep breaths. She smelt the sweat that was dripping down her forehead. She smelt the scent of the lavender incents that her mother was burning in the kitchen to cover up the stench of her cigarette. Melody was finally able to settle back into the deep cushioning memory foam of her mothers childhood bed. She felt her mothers warm hand grip onto her cold clammy one. She didn't like this feeling. But she never told her mother that.

Her mother then began to sing. Not to loud as to wake their dog sneaker. But so soft and soothing that even the crickets grew envious of her voice.

North of the forest and south of the sea, each little fairy will fly home to sle-

" mom, I'm to old for lullabies "

But still her mother continued to sing.

They whisper the sorrows of children below, their dust falls upon them like small flakes of snow.

She looked down at her daughters young, pale face. The soft, short, breaths indicating that she was indeed asleep. She stroked her long brown hair and kissed her small clammy hand. She then turned to see the read glow of her daughters alarm clock turn from the numbers 11:59 to 12:00.

She looked down at her daughter and let out a sigh of relife.

" happy birthday sweetheart".

____________________________________

She woke up. Her head was spinning with memories from last night. She sat up trying to regain her senses. She took in a deep breath and a scent drifted past her nose that wasn't cigarettes or lavender candles or her mother ironing her church dress for tomorrow. No, this smelled like honey. And chocolate chips. And orange juice. She breathed in the scent a second time,this time recognizing it immediately.

Birthday pancakes.

She got out of her bed, only stopping by her mirror to ruffle up her hair. She ran down the stairs only to be bombarded by sneakers. Her childhood yorkie.