Chapter 1

Golden beam peeked through the tall eucalyptus along the river. Somehow it managed to paint fringes on the west facing shabby walls of old shacks which stood opposite the river bank. A narrow lane passed through, separating the two: nature and artificial. Calm waters of Awa sparkled occasionally as it flowed slowly. Flying flocks headed west; perhaps to their homes. Busy commuters strolled down the lane, few lazily sat by the river. The nature seemed to have no hurry yet the time ticked by. Ever busy Mrs. Reid arranged the mud pots for display while customers thronged in her store. Though being the kindest lady in the town, she would turn to her customers yelling every now and then, "Oh lord! Give me mercy... This crowd is unmanageable." The florist managed to facade a big smile in her annoyance as a young group of men jostled through the chaotic crowd. Like every other evening, Fred sat waiting on the front porch of the shop as the turtle paced time ticked by. He was lost in his thoughts of the sweetest young lady in the town of Ohana when she walked up the stairs of the shop and the clock ticked sharp half past five. It couldn't be true yet it was. In haste he stood up and fumbled in ecstasy; yet another day his attempts shattered in vain.

                                                                                          *******

Rumbling dull armoured vehicle sped towards north as the fatigued prisoner sat gripping the rusty bars. A pair of unfazed grey eyes looked through the window but his mind; it was off somewhere else. The river Awa had lost its sparkle. War debris drifted down the river which had rather turned murkier in the past years. Draped in serious attire, the eucalyptus in the river bank stood erect as the smoky skies rained grey ashes. Somewhere behind those heavy clouds, the sun inched towards the horizon. Grey blanket of unfamiliarity covered Ohana. Pitted roads and scattered waste made the ride discontinuous while two statue-like conscripts sat guarding the van. With each jolt, hostages rhythmically rocked back and forth. Bulky van came to an unexpected halt as it bumped on some rusty wreckage. In a cracked voice a guard poked a prisoner ordering," Get off the van maggots. Quick! Quick! We don't have a day." Gripping fingers had no effect at all, unaware of the reality, Fred sat looking; yet not noticing. Unanticipated kick from a conscript dragged him back to the present. Frowns of confusion gathered between his eyebrows as he looked up at the belligerent, armed men. But his eyes, he sought for the- one; and only one. Lost in the labyrinths of his thoughts, he felt no ache anymore. Once again, he rose to his feet in an attempt to fulfill his only dream, only one he was left with. She stood there in front of him while he stuttered trying to utter words. He continued his struggle to speak up until harassing blows brought him to his senses. The two men dragged him down to his knees and whipped him until he fell unconscious. Other hostages were being tagged with numbers on their arms and tethered together by chains, in a line. Military officials crowded near the entrance to the van; it was indeed a scene. A small group of cadets came running out of the crowd and dragged the wounded opponent down the van.

Fred was taken inside one of the many tents set up by the combatant opposition. The cadets fastened his arms on opposite poles inside the tent and splashed a bucket full of water. Seeing the injured prisoner wake up with a start, they broke out in laughter. Blood dripped down his wet dirty military uniform as the water washed him. "No more wasting time boys. Throw him in..." Captain's voice came hurling in. At once, the cadets hastened their pace and brought him down. "Stand erect rat!" Two men ordered. After few failed attempts, the two guards lifted Fred up by his arms and dragged him out of the tent. Red droplets oozed out of his whipped body and painted patterns on the path. They carried him to an official sitting with a bunch of number tags. On seeing Fred, the conscript pulled his arm and tied a tag with a number '1628' and chuckled," Feed him some meat boys, more days are waiting for him to get paler." Pointless mocking had no effect on Fred. His gaze was fixed and face devoid of emotions. Dragging him, they moved towards a huge dark building which once used to be the city prison. He shut his eyelids as they carried him through the gloomy corridors.