6-Under The Thunderbird

The governor led the party south, out of town and into the hill country. Other than wary glances, the men ignored Sharn and gave him space. This did not surprise or offend him. He had experienced every kind of attitude from these Minkaeran and none startled him any longer.

The governor explained the situation to the other men once they were clear of town. They seemed already to have a distaste for the ones who had captured the children, spitting their disgust at the ground and muttering curses at the mention of the kidnappers' names.

For about an hour they walked at a quick pace over rolling hills. Sharn knew time was not on their side. If they could not return in time to stop his people's war party from attacking the town, all would be lost in his efforts for peace between the two peoples. If his tribe listened to Watu, they would wait. He knew the warriors of his people, though. They were tired of waiting. With the Minkaera's never ending aggressions and disregard for them, the Kualii Edain were spoiling for war.

The governor and his townsmen found the kidnappers' encampment without any trouble, a cluster of huts and tents in a clearing near the road. Sharn noticed one of the men walking through the makeshift village with a couple pieces of firewood in his arms, sort of lulling from side to side as he ambled along. A few other men slept on the ground, hats over their faces.

"Drunk," whispered the sheriff.

The governor and his men, along with Sharn, slowly and quietly surrounded the encampment. Fortunately, there were not many dry leaves on the ground, and they could creep close without making much noise.

Sharn, of course, could creep over the driest of leaves and branches with no more sound than the smallest of forest animals, but his concern was for the Minkaeran, who by and large did not possess the quality of the stalking trii'pak as his own people did. These ones made more noise than he liked, but the drunkards in the camp would not have heard even a stampede of kor'nkaopii, so it did not much matter.

Once in position, the men waited for the sheriff to give the signal to attack. Sharn flipped the spear in his spear hand, so the point faced down, and let it hover just above the ground. With his other hand he felt for the tomahawk hanging at his back from its belt, as he always did before a battle. He needed only to concentrate on the weight of it pressed against his shirt to know it was there, but touching it with his fingers was part of the ritual and prepared his mind, body, and spirit for the work ahead.

The sheriff whistled a loud, shrill whistle and the ring of attackers closed in. As it happened, Sharn needed neither spear nor tomahawk nor knife. The kidnappers were captured before they even knew there was trouble. Some cursed, others whimpered and pleaded. Only one was killed, the man carrying the firewood, who had already set down the wood next to the smoldering fire and charged the attacker nearest him with a long knife. He was put down with three arrows before he had run six steps.

The children were tied up inside the largest hut, faces bruised and thin, but otherwise alive and uninjured. Even the young women seemed to be unharmed, though one was found in a separate tent and seemed very badly shaken. Sharn greeted them all and helped untie them. They flocked to him like chicks to a mother bird, and withdrew any time one of the Minkaeran men came near.

Once the governor and his men had subdued and restrained the kidnappers, they made their way back up the road toward town, free children and gagged vagabonds in tow. The governor led them along a path cutting around town to the east-west road Sharn and Watu had walked in on. Sharn could see the governor meant to have this conflict sorted and behind him as soon as possible.

Just outside of town, Sharn saw his tribesmen emerge from the edge of the forest at the far side of the open prairie. They came forward like shadows into daylight, like ghosts taking form, and Sharn understood for a moment the fear his people inspired in their enemies.