Part 1; War

“Open it.” A voice like broken glass shredded the silent night. “Open it and face what is inside of it.” His raspy voice sent chills down my spine. I tried to speak but my throat burned whenever I tried.  “Open the letter. Release us. Open it and alleviate the hunger of curiosity regulating your mind. Or face that hunger forever!” It spoke again. I tried to call out but instead of words vibrating in my throat it felt like razor blades ripping apart my larynx.

“Open it or face a pain far worse than the fate inside of that envelope.” Another dark voice sounded. “Open it now, or face war.”

“Open it or suffer a sickness worse than any pain you have ever endured,” A high voice sounded. It was like nails on a chalk board.

“Open it or face death!” A loud dark rumbling voice sounded.

¨¨¨

I woke up with a start and coughed up red sticky blood onto my hand. I looked around to see the silver envelope that remained on my desk all night. It glowed an eerie blue color. I walked over to it and grasped it. The envelope glowed brighter, so bright that I had to shield my eyes. Hastily I opened the drawer in my desk and threw the envelope into the drawer, slamming it shut. I rushed back to my bed and dove under the covers. I tossed and turned, trying to get a wink of sleep, but the whole night I stared at the ceiling with eyes wide open.

            Eventually dawn came, ending my suffering. I got up and got ready to go back to the hellhole they call school.

        I threw on a random pair of jeans and a t-shirt. I brushed my black hair. I grabbed my old converse from the corner of my room and pulled them on over a pair of mismatched socks. I swung my book bag over my shoulder and went to leave my room. ‘Wait.’ A raspy sounded in my head. ‘You forgot us.’ It stated.

            I slowly turned to the silver envelope on the desk. That was not where I put it. I grabbed the eerie note and stuck it into my pocket. I ran out of our barely standing house and onto the road. I walked hastily to school with the creepy feeling that I was being watched.

            A chill ran down my spine. ‘It’s nothing.’ I told myself calmly. I casually glanced over my shoulder expecting to see nothing. Instead I saw an old man. He look about 60 years old. I kept walking but I picked up my pace a bit.

            I kept walking, not stopping until I got to school. I turned around and glanced behind me. The old man was nowhere to be seen.

        I entered school and went to my locker. I spun the lock quickly, imputing my passcode. The silver lock clicked open and I grabbed a note book from my locker. I went to close the door but instead I hesitated. I reached into my pocket and pulled out the note. I flipped it over. Everything looked the same as it had yesterday. All except for the seal. Instead of the number 4 on in it there was a horse. It was standing on its hind legs and looked as if it were letting out a battle cry. I shrugged and put the note into my locker, feeling like a weight had been lifted off of my chest.

            I continued to homeroom. Instead of my regular homeroom advisor there was someone else. A man. The same man who I saw on the street. I gasped when I saw him and quickly took my seat. It’s just a coincidence. It has to be. I tried to calm myself but my instincts screamed danger. I didn’t let the man out of my sight. I sat there for the rest of the short period.

            As soon as the bell rang I practically jumped out of my seat and ran to my next class. Panting, I entered the room. I took my seat in the back of the room.