Chapter 5

Katie’s POV

     I am rummaging through my closet trying to find the perfect outfit for my date with James tonight. I wonder what we’re going to do on this date. Yesterday’s date was supposed to be out of the apartment but we ended up staying inside. I decide to wear my white shorts that go to mid thigh, my purple tank top that James got me for my birthday, and my black flip flops. I shower and straighten my hair that goes down my back. I put on some light make-up. I know James would like the more natural look on me instead of caking on the make-up. I finish getting ready and I hear a knock on my door.

     “Who is it?” I shout as I get everything I need in my purse. It better not be Carlos saying he ate all the corndogs already.

     “It’s me Katie-kat. Are you ready to go?” James shouts through the door and I hear someone pounding on the door.

     “Calm down Jamie! I’ll be right out,” I say as I chuckle and open the door to see James waiting and a guilty looking Kendall.

     “Sorry baby sis, it was me who was pounding on your door. I just didn’t want James to keep waiting for you,” Kendall tells me as he hugs me and I hit him in the stomach; he is such an older brother.

     “Let’s get going Katie baby,” James whispers in my ear as he takes my hand and we make our way to the door.

     “Bye guys! Have fun. But not too much fun!” Kendall shouts as we walk out the door and Logan closes the door behind us.

     “Where are we going?” I ask him as we take the elevator to the lobby and walk to the Jeep.

     “It’s a surprise Katie baby. You will have to wait and see,” James tells me as he opens the door for me and I get in; does he always have to make me anxious?

     “Awe you know I don’t like surprises! Just tell me,” I tell him with my signature Katie Knight puppy pout hoping he will tell me.

     “Nice try baby girl. That pout isn’t going to work on me right now,” James tells me as he pulls out of the Palmwoods and starts driving. He hasn’t called me baby girl since I had the flu when I was sixteen.

     “It usually does,” I mutter under breath and look out the window trying to figure out where James is taking me.

     “Hey now babe. Don’t be mad. Be happy. We will be there soon,” he tells me as he grabs my hand and holds it as he continues to drive.

     “I better like this surprise. You know I don’t like surprises and if I don’t like this surprise, it’s your fault,” I tell him as he continues the seemingly long drive.

     “You’re going to love this surprise. I promise Katie bear,” he tells me as he grabs my hand and kisses it.

     “Okay Jamie. Where the heck are we and how much longer are we going to be in this car?” I ask him impatiently.

     “Don’t worry Katie ‘cause we are here,” he says as he pulls into a parking lot and turns off the Jeep.

     “And exactly where are we?” I ask as I look around to see just green grass; we drove all this way to go to what looks like a park?

     “We are at a park for a picnic,” he tells me as he gets the picnic basket from the back of the Jeep.

     “If we are just going to have a picnic then why didn’t we go to the Palmwoods Park?” I ask him as we get the food out of the basket under a tree. Did we really have to drive this far to a park?