2. Cupid Strikes On New Year

"Don't forget about me! OK, text me every night and every day?"

Her eyes started filling with tears. Of course this would happen, Melissa getting over-emotional over little things.

"I'm not running away forever. Its just 2 weeks?"

"This sucks, especially our plans for the holidays." She says punching me in my arm.

"It's good, I'll make it up to you." I felt a smile drag across my face to reassure her.
Even I was unsure if I could grant that promise. This was really goodbye, I remembered her curls falling beautifully past her shoulders, her sea blue eyes flowing with emotion, her freckled face, the nose ring I always secretly jealous of, her ears pierced with a few rings -they always brought out her beauty.

"Goodbye!"
"No, till we meet again."
"You and your book quotes."

We hold each other what feels like forever, I know I have to go since I've lost track of time. She sobs harder on my shoulder. If she's acting like this now, how would she react when I tell her?

***

The airport's a daze, next time I'm travelling really early, or really late. All I see is people running everywhere, kids screaming for Ice cream, in December? Absolutely oblivious to the cold. I double check my boarding pass to make sure I'm not running a marathon to catch my flight like all the disorganized people I see running. Gate 57, Flight NZ291003, 14:00 PM. I glance at my watch, 11:00 AM. My eye starts twitching violently. Not now. I was so anxious for today I hardly shut my eyes... It's a wonder how I out of bed.

I calmly go through customs, check-ins and my after the crazy run, my eyes fall on the beauty of the shops - one of my many weaknesses. So tempting but I have to drag myself away.

I place myself down in a chair, play my Coldplay playlist and close my eyes. Miracles.

***

12PM, migraine finally disappearing. I still have about 1 hour to explore my home before I'm ripped away.

"This is the final call, for flight NZ291003 connecting flight to New Zealand, this is the final call for the last passenger. Please make your way to gate 57. Again this is the final call for flight NZ291003 to New Zealand, this is the final call for the last passenger. Please make your way to gate 57."

You have got to be kidding me. I stood in dismay not believing what I was hearing.

"So would you be interested in our offer? This is World Duty Free. You'll be able to pick it up when you arrive from your destination."

I fumbled for my phone, the screen radiated the numbers 13:58 PM. Heart Stopping. Moment.
HOW?

"At this rate I'll never make it to my destination!"

I scrambled for my wallet and ran down the aisle. Panic flooded my mind. A sea of people shopping back and forth.

RUN.

I look for signs, anything, I see the numbers, Gate 19-64. I chase down the corridor a wave of eyes following me, glad that there're not me.

I hear the intercom go once more again, maybe it's for me.

"Final call... New Zealand.... Alaska.... 2 passengers."

I run up the escalators, tripping up the steps as I go, shoving people out my way, muttering apologies as I go.

***

"WHAT?!"

"I'm sorry but that flight just left. The gate's closed."