How the Bible Got to Us Today

Chapter One     'A Fire Kindled in a Boy's Heart'

     It was a cold Monday morning at a farm house on Old Gravel Road (that's the name of the road) which is located on the outskirts of Bowling Green, Kentucky.  Chester, 12, the oldest of four children of Joe and Liz Kasteel, was suddenly awakened by the smell of an alluring aroma coming from the kitchen.  It was the unmistakable smell of bacon frying.  His first words before getting out of bed were, "I love You, God.  Thank you for bacon!"  He then hopped out of bed and threw on a pair of blue jeans and a flannel shirt.  He grabbed his black Bible from his dresser and followed his nose from his bedroom straight to the kitchen.
    "Mom, that smells so good!" declared Chester.
    "Grab your place at the table," Liz says, "Breakfast is ready."  So he grabs his usual spot to the right hand of his Father who sits at the head of the table.
    After his Father, Joe, gave thanks to God for the food, Chester just sat there pondering while the others dove into their plates of eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy.
    "What's on your mind, Son?" his concerned Father asked.
    "Last night, Preacher said that God took a period of 1,600 years to write the whole Bible!  He said God used men from a long time ago to write His words down!  People have also died to protect these words – God's words – throughout the years!  I would love to have God use me someday!  That would be awesome!!!"
    "Well, you sure have passion about God's words like a man of God," injected Joe, "I'm thrilled that you're interested in the Bible as much as you are.  I believe God's got big plans for you, Ches."
    Chester's eyes lit up with great joy.  He was gleaming with gladness as he fantasized about being used of God in a great way.  He imagined God using him to write a story about himself in the Scriptures and others reading about God and himself bringing a great victory to pass.
    After a few long seconds of dreaming, he finally said, "Maybe Pastor Cartwright could tell us more about how the Bible got to us today."
    "I'm sure he could, Son, as a matter of fact, I know he could." 
    "Would you take us, please, Dad, to go see him?"
    "I'll have to make an appointment, but I will take you."
    "Thanks, Dad.  You're the greatest."
    After breakfast, the four children hustled to get ready to catch the bus for school.

Chapter Two     'A Pleased Father'

   That night, Joe and Liz lie in bed reading the Bible together after the children fell asleep.  As soon as Joe finished reading the last verse of Psalm 119, he turned to Liz and said, "Say, Liz, did you see the look on Ches' face as he was talking about how the Bible got to us?  I swell up on the inside to know that he is so interested in God.  That's awesome!"
    Liz attempted to encourage her husband, "I know.  You must've done something right, Joe."
    "Well, I think it has more to do with God touching his heart than it does with my raising him.  I'm not gonna take all the credit anyway.  He has a tremendous Mother, and, you and me, Liz, work as a team," said Joe, putting things into perspective.
    Liz smiled and was glad that Joe had acknowledged the fact that they both work together, "Ches has so much potential.  I can't wait to see what God is going to do with him."
    "That makes the two of us," Joe replied.  A pleasant grin spread across his face as he briefly dreamed for Chester.  "I'm going to make that appointment with Bro. Cartwright tomorr.....Hey, wait a second!  I know what Bro. Cartwright has taught us about the history of the Bible.  I'll teach Ches!"
    "That's a great idea, Joe," Liz injected, "I think he should hear it from you."
    "It'll be awesome, Liz!  But I'll think about it more tomorrow.  It's after ten o'clock."
    "I'm so glad God put us together.  Me...with a good-looking, strong, and brilliant man.  You're my husband and nobody else's."
    "I'm privileged to have you, Liz, a sharp, intelligent woman with a lot of character..." Joe playfully pauses to get a reaction from Liz.
    "And...That's it!"
    "And...not to mention, an incredibly gorgeous babe!"
    "I can't believe you, Joe!"
     "You do realize that that's what I noticed about you when I first met you?!"
    "I am madly in love with you, Joe."
    After a few flirtatious and romantic words were exchanged...
    (O.K., let's stop this chapter right here.  Parents: It's your responsibility to teach your children about sex and the intimate relationship between a man and his wife.)