Keep Going.

Vanessa’s P.O.V

I locked my car and slowly walked towards the front door, I just finished the dinner shift at work and adding that frustration to my already tired and hangover state I’m really not in the best shape. I can see light coming through the curtains from the lounge and the hallway so either someone left them on for me or someone is still awake.

I opened the door and walked right into what could only be described as a deadly debate. Jake is standing on the second last step and James looks as though he was walking towards the kitchen but now they’re yelling at each other.

“You’re going to get yourself killed if you keep hanging out with that drop kick.” James yells.

“How the fuck would you know? You haven’t said more than two words to him? You don’t even know him, he’s a way better friend than you.” Jake yells.

“Ruin your life, see if I care. Just don’t come crying back to me when he fucks up and gets you both locked up.” James yells and then walks into the kitchen.

“I fucking won’t, you piece of shit.” Jake yells and starts stomping up stairs.

What the fuck?

“Don’t you dare walk away, get down here now!! Both of you.” I say, Jake and James both follow me into the lounge and sit as far as physically possible from each other. This is fucking ridiculous.

“What the hell was that?” I ask.

“James thinking he can run my life.” Jake says.

“No, it was me looking out for someone I care about but I don’t give a fuck anymore.” James says.

“Language.” I scold.

“Sorry.” He mutters.

“Why are you looking out for him? What’s wrong?” I ask James.

“Nothing is fucking wrong!” Jake yells.

“Language.” I scold and turn to James for his answer.

“Zack, Jake’s new best friend is bad news.” James explains.

“They’re just stupid rumours, he’s actually a nice guy if you took the chance to get to know him.” Jake defends.

“What makes him bad news?” I ask James, as much as I’d love to say I trust Jake’s judgement he isn’t as critical or suspicious like James so as of right now I’m on his side. Jake should stop being an ass and realize his friend is only looking out for him.

“His whole family is dodgy.” James says briefly, leaving many more questions in my head.

“You of all people should know that you aren’t what your family is and anyway they’re also nice people.” Jake defends.

“Nice people aren’t always nice, Jake. There’s a thing called acting.” I point out.

“You don’t even know them.” He says defensively.

“I know that but I don’t want you hanging out with this Zack guy until I get the chance to meet him.” I say.

“Oh when will that be? Should we slip it in-between your next tour and visiting your boyfriend on the other side of the world? Or do you need to check you schedule and shuffle some things so you actually have time for me?” He says, his voice was cracking and it hurt like a slap in the face hearing him so hurt.

“Jake…” I start.

“I’m going to bed.” He says and pushes past me to go upstairs.

“Don’t take it personally he’s been moody all day.” James says.