9

Silence filled the room once Roan spoke those words. If it were possible, the only thing everyone could hear was how loud my heart kept beating against my chest. The deafening sound of silence lingered on, and Nia's eyes fell immediately on me.

"Is this true," she asked. I couldn't identify her tone. Was she angry?

I know I was.

I gulped and glanced at Roan.

"Do not look at my son," she roared and walked towards me slowly, her eyes fixed on my petrified soul. "Does my son speak the truth? Are you carrying the future heir of Azgeda?"

Honestly, if I said no...

I took in a deep breath and said, trying to sound convincing, "Yes, my Queen."

She exhaled deeply, as if to tell me that her hands had been bound. She turned towards Ontari and said, "Take our guests to their rooms,"

"Hold on," Octavia stepped forward, frustration plastered all over her face, "First you invite us to create a ridiculous alliance, and then you tell us that this traitor and your son were planning to get married. Now you're telling us that you're with child," she glanced at me, "Do you take us for fools?"

"You will not speak to the mother of our future heir in that tone," Nia snapped.

"Forgive me, your royal highness," Octavia responded mockingly, "But look at her." She pointed at me, "Does she honestly look like she knows how to get a child?"

I clenched my jaw and slipped my hand from Roan's grasp. He glanced at me, curiously. But when he saw the expression on my face, he knew that he had done the worst thing he could have.

Well... he has.

"The Queen demands you be taken to your rooms," Ontari spoke as she stepped towards the group.

"I believe we have overstayed our welcome," Kane said, his gaze fixed on mine. After taking a small pause, he glanced at Nia, "We appreciate your hospitality, and your offer to come into an alliance with us. But under circumstances-,"

"Xavier is not Skaikru anymore," Bellamy blurted out. All eyes fell on him, and a part of me felt a little shattered.

"Bellamy," Clarke whispered softly.

"She has made her decision," Bellamy said as he lowered his gaze, "She doesn't want anything to do with us, and she has made that very clear from time on time. Your request for us to stay here the night is appreciated, but I believe it's best we leave Azgeda at once. There's nothing keeping us here."

I bit my lower lip and lowered my gaze as well.

They have made their decision.

"Fine," Nia exhaled sharply and turned to Ontari, "Escort our guests to the gate. Make sure they are not harmed on their way out."

"Yes, my Queen," Ontari bowed and started walking towards the door. One by one, they began to follow her. I glanced up hoping to catch Bellamy's eyes one last time before I lose them forever.

But he never looked up.

They never looked back.

-----

"I'm sorry,"

Roan's words escaped his lips softly as he stood in front of me in my room. Night had fallen, and after a very long day convincing the Queen about the lies Roan had fed her, I was exhausted. I sat at the foot of my bed, dressed in my nightgown, with my hair draped down my shoulder. I wanted to sleep. But Roan had shown up, and it was back to the same exhausting conversation with him once again.