Chapter Three

Dear Journal-

That new kid, Varian?

He's no good. Already, I can tell that.

Sometimes, curiosity doesn't kill the cat, but it still seriously kills mojo.

I mean, Craig Cooper just came in from the boys' dormitory, asking for Clara. I found out from their conversation that Varian, for the most part, was a 'cool kid,' give or take one thing: his constant prying and question-asking.

Apparently, the kid can't take a hint.

The worst part? The fact that I'm supposed to be his senior guide- something that never even existed until now- for who knows how long, helping him get around the place, get accustomed to everything... I want nothing to do with the kid and then BAM! I'm stuck babysitting him.

One thing's for certain: this is bound to be... Interesting.

-Cassandra

~-~

After finishing breakfast the next morning, Cassandra stood in the entryway to the dining hall, waiting for Varian to finish eating his food. Of course, his plate was piled high with it.

This could take awhile, Cass realized with a groan, so much for making it quick...

"Hey, 'Sandra," a guy called out, shoving past her, "have fun with the newbie today, okay?"

Cass seethed angrily, but all she could muster was, "don't call me 'Sandra."

"Cass! Hey!" Caroline, a friend of Cassandra's, exclaimed, "are you open this afternoon?"

Cassandra had just assumed that Caroline would know that indeed, Cass was not open that afternoon- unless the kid hurried up, which seemed less likely by the minute- but she tried to be patient with her friend.

"Sorry, Caroline, but I've got newbie duty for who knows how long."

"You mean Clara's brother's new roommate?"

"That's the one."

"He seems harmless," Caroline remarked, "and... Almost cute in a scrawny sophomore sort of way."

Cass scowled, clenching and unclenching her fists at her sides. "He's nothing but trouble, Linny. Craig was talking to Clara-"

"So... You were eavesdropping."

Cass's face burned bright red. "Not the point. The point is that Craig isn't necessarily comfortable around Varian. He pries too much and asks too many questions."

"You're being too hard on him, Cass. You don't even know the kid."

Cassandra hated that her friend had to be the voice of reason and kindness. She just felt like arguing. So she did.

"Yeah, well, neither do you," she retorted, "and anyone who asks that many questions... No good, Caroline. No. Good."

"You asked questions, too," Caroline reminded her in a calm, even tone, "we all ask questions. It's in our nature. How else are we supposed to learn?"

Cass wanted to point out that she had asked important questions, like where the bathrooms were or which ways were easiest to use in order to get to and from classes, but Varian was suddenly at her side, bouncing on the balls of his feet.

"Good morning, Cassandra!" he chirped happily, "that is your name, right? You're my campus guide. I'm ready to go when you are!"

Cass glanced at Caroline as if to say you see what I mean?

"Just give him a chance," Caroline whispered to her friend, "he may end up surprising you."

Cassandra highly doubted it, but she had no other choice.

"He may end up surprising you," Caroline repeated before heading out into the open campus.