Prolouge

She was lounging on the floor of the empty train, one leg bent, the other resting on the cold ground, a deep gash running up it. She had other cuts and bruises across her arms and face, though most where smaller.
In this moment, none of that mattered, not her aching body; nor the fact that she'd been running and hiding for days just to catch this damn train, scared to even close her eyes; nothing. A soft smile escaped her thin lips. She was free.
Opposite her was the open train door. She glanced out at the deep blue sky, transitioning to black. It was getting late, she should probably go, she had a lot to do after all. The night sky outside was beckoning her. She took a deep breath before struggling to get to her feet. For a moment she flashed back to that dark room: she couldn't see the sky or feel the air, only the restricting chains around her wrists chaining her to that high, windowless wall and the things they had done...
No. This was not the time for that. She was so close to freedom. She started walking towards the door, her right leg dragging slightly behind her left. Strands of her midnight black her escaped it's braid and blew across her face.
She reached the door and without hesitation, stepped of the train and found not stone, but air beneath her feet. Infinite, endless air. Empty space. Freedom.
And then the wind was rushing past her and she was falling,
Down
And
Down
And
Down
And-
She was flying. Suddenly, her wings appeared and spread out, sending her upwards. A feeling of pure elation spread through her very bones. It had been years, but now she was home.
They had tried to lock up an angel.
She looked across at the horizon, the glowing full moon, speaking to her of limitless opportunities. The air even tasted different up here, she thought, fresher, cleaner.
They had tried to take this from her.
She laughed, dark and bitterly. The earth almost seemed to tremble below her.
They had failed.
She had returned and she decided that perhaps not all angels had to be good.